Sign in to follow this  
lowvr

vr6 sodium filled valves + upgraded big end bearing

just liek the post i made earlier i am after soem more info on this as internet searches havent come up with much so far

details i am after is:

where to purchase?

any feedback etc?

thanx you! help is much appreciated

or are stock valves even sodium filled? as i have heard contradicting information from various tuners now

i hope someone can clear this up for me

thank u

just liek the post i made earlier i am after soem more info on this as internet searches havent come up with much so far

details i am after is:

where to purchase?

any feedback etc?

GSF sell stock exhaust valves, were fine when i rebuilt my head

just like the post i made earlier i am after soem more info on this as internet searches havent come up with much so far

details i am after is:

where to purchase?

any feedback etc?

GSF sell stock exhaust valves, were fine when i rebuilt my head

I have also used the same valves in the same on a n/a vr6

but this new head is being used for a f/i engine which should run about 17psi and someone i know who is running a very very similar for the past few years has said to me as an area of improvment from his own head to look into sodium filled valves due to the excessive heat from the turbo engine

also sorry for startin 2 topics

the second question was regarding big end bearings...

i'm looking for an upgrade for something a bit more durable than stock as my research from various tuners has lead me to believe now that generally the big end bearing tend to be the weakest point in terms of the conrod assembly and as i am installing arp rod bolts and disturbing the oringal bearings these will need replacing

For boost, Stainless inlet and Inconel Exhaust is now the norm. I use +1mm Ferrea valves, which have been fine for well over 40K :D

I don't think standard VR6 exhaust valves are sodium filled. 16V ones are though.

034 Motorsport sell some coated bearings if you're concerned about them, but there's no need if the engine is built and tuned properly. A decent standard spec set made by Glyco are very good. Or standard RS4 ones etc etc...

I thought all exhaust valves on the corrados were sodium filled.

Only G60's as far as I know mate

16v KR and 9a engine have sodium filled exhaust valves too.

Yep, and you're supposed to cut the stems in half and dunk them in water before scrapping them, but I've yet to see anyone do that :lol:

For boost, Stainless inlet and Inconel Exhaust is now the norm. I use +1mm Ferrea valves, which have been fine for well over 40K :D

I don't think standard VR6 exhaust valves are sodium filled. 16V ones are though.

034 Motorsport sell some coated bearings if you're concerned about them, but there's no need if the engine is built and tuned properly. A decent standard spec set made by Glyco are very good. Or standard RS4 ones etc etc...

thank you for the informative reply.

Am i right in saying that the +1mm ferrea valve you are referring to also require the use of the ferrea valve lock, spring and retainers?

Also what is it about the construction of stainless inlet and inconel exhaust valves that make them so well suited to turbo application over the stock/run of the mill equipment

Hope you don't mind answering these questions you seem to have a usefull knowledge bank and i like to learn as much as i can before i spent my hard earned money.

I have also heard of few tuners only upgrading the exhaust valves and not the inlet which leads me to believe they are more prone to wear/more constrictive than the inlets valves - does my theory agree with your knowledge?

just did some serious reading, i now underdstand the benefit of these valves - very nice