Sign in to follow this  
Slimg60

Do fuel pumps....

Do fuel pumps die suddenly or can they gradually gradually, cutting in and out?

Today, my car lost power and was coasting along. As I changed down a gear it then cleared itself. Got home and the 16v fuel pump under the car was making a horrifically noisey.

Guess the pump on it's was out as I've never heard it make this much noise.

Could the heat have effect it? I went out a little later and as I primed the engine the pump made it's regular noise.

Do fuel pumps die suddenly or can they gradually gradually, cutting in and out?

Today, my car lost power and was coasting along. As I changed down a gear it then cleared itself. Got home and the 16v fuel pump under the car was making a horrifically noisey.

Guess the pump on it's was out as I've never heard it make this much noise.

Could the heat have effect it? I went out a little later and as I primed the engine the pump made it's regular noise.

when they start making that noise it means they are struggling, and yes they can gradually get worse and worse until it becomes a daily occurrence. mine did this, it decided to die completely when we had that snow at the beginning of the year, what a time.

first thing to check, make sure your tank lift pump is working, it only takes 5 mins to whip this out and check. the fuel pump will still get fuel to the engine if the lift pump stops working but it will be acting like a siphon. this puts strain on the pump over time. usually the tank lift pump will die without any indication. i reckon mine died about a year or 2 before i start getting main pump problems going by the noises it made over that period of time.

they are cheap to replace, i would recommend that you replace both at the same time. it can make a lot of difference.

but then....your lift pump maybe fine, which would mean its just the main pump on its way out, worth checking though. i stupidly didnt the first time i replaced my fuel pump, end up burning the new one out then having to buy another one with the lift pump.

I'd not even thought of the lifter pump. It's still my old G60 pump so I'll check it tomorrow.

are you running a g60 pump with a 16v pump? thats a bit greedy lol

I'd not even thought of the lifter pump. It's still my old G60 pump so I'll check it tomorrow.

are you running a g60 pump with a 16v pump? thats a bit greedy lol

yeh the G60 is being used as the lifter :D

I need the fuel supply!

Mine (15-yr old original) failed totally in the busiest part of our High Street last autumn. Nightmare.

Thread on here somewhere.

Here's perhaps a blonde Q, but if the lifter starts to go, or is kaput, can either or, affect MPG? :scratch: :shrug:

i dont think it will help. especially over time when the main pump gets weaker and weaker.

to be honest though, ive never tested this so i can only give my opinion.