Sign in to follow this  
VWVW

VR Oil cooler leak

Need some advice guys...

I have notice there is a very slight oil leak on my VR and it seems to be coming from the oil cooler.

I ve read from previous posts that it could be the seal that needs replacing...is it worth relacing the whole oil coooler given the amount of effort getting to it in the first place or just changing the seal should be sufficient.

cheers

seals are pretty common failures and new ones cure the problem, cant see any need to replace the whole thing.

Thanks for the replies...gonna do a search in here and see how easy it is to do myself :)

I think mine needs replaced as well, not sure though. There seems to be oil leaking from what looks like a 25mm bolt sitting at the front of the engine. I'm far from a mechanic :) Keep us posted here on your progress

Really is the easiest job. One round and one square section seal from VW and ten minutes under the car. Just make sure the seals are seated correctly and don't over torque the cap. Neil

Is this the oil cooler bolt I need to loosen? How come there's two seals needed? Sorry if I sound a bit thick :shrug:

I take it the engine oil will need to be drained first before attempting to unbolting the oil cooler ?

I take it the engine oil will need to be drained first before attempting to unbolting the oil cooler ?

Apparently not from what I've read... better have a tray handy just un case :)

No but you may lose a mug full, that's about what I lost when I did mine.

I replaced oil cooler and seals a year ago, still had slight leak from same are which turned out to be crankcase seal (gearbox out). Also had to replace main plastic water pipe as connection broke easily when removing oil cooler pipe. Sorted now though :D

yeah just replace the seals as the oil cooler unit themselves can be quite expensive from VW

Yes, currently £58+VAT on exchange basis as I ordered one yesterday! :lol:

Although just realised I forgot seals! Doh! :brickwall:

yeah just replace the seals as the oil cooler unit themselves can be quite expensive from VW

Yes, currently £58+VAT on exchange basis as I ordered one yesterday! :lol:

Although just realised I forgot seals! Doh! :brickwall:[/quote:3t200d3k]

Ah really on the exchange basis where was that from the stealers??

yeah that was from the dealers, I did have a hunt around quickly but I'd guess you don't want a sub-par part that is so vital

Ok, I think I should be able to handle this job so I'm gonna have a go at it :)

couple of quick questions for those that have done this before. Does anyone know if it's best to loosen the bolt from the top or is it better to take of the cover at the bottom & get at it from there? also what size of spanner do we need.

24mm do it from the bottom............the pipes get in the way if you do it from the top and you cant get to the seal at the back of the cooler.... :)

Thanks daleyboy... nice clean & dry engine you have there :)

Another thing, I assume it's better to take of the hose coming out of the radiator. Whats the best way to manage this task? Can you catch the coolant or does the coolant have to be replaced?

Ta i thought i'd sneak on my latest photo of ongoing works............ :norty:

Its a PITA job mate so take your time, i would leave the pipes on as it keeps the cooler in roughly the right place and you leave these on only oil will come out when you undo it.

The rear seal has two small hoops that locate on the back of the cooler (you'll see what i mean when you get there) this is the one that seeps, just have an old cloth handy and wear goggles if you have any cos oil goes everywhere............ :wave:

Ta i thought i'd sneak on my latest photo of ongoing works............ :norty:

Its a PITA job mate so take your time, i would leave the pipes on as it keeps the cooler in roughly the right place and you leave these on only oil will come out when you undo it.

The rear seal has two small hoops that locate on the back of the cooler (you'll see what i mean when you get there) this is the one that seeps, just have an old cloth handy and wear goggles if you have any cos oil goes everywhere............ :wave:

Thanks man, good advise... has given me the confidence to go ahead with it. I collected the 2 seals today from the dealer. have to call them dealer this time cos they only cost £6 :D

same here collected my two seals today...:) Now just finding the time to do this :)

same here collected my two seals today...:) Now just finding the time to do this :)

My neighbour has both a 'Pit' and a set of 'ramps' :D so I'm gonna try & fit them Monday... fingers crossed. Think I'll take some pics as well