Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Another problem - plug leads

Ya fix 1 problem and another is just round the corner, starting to get cheesed off with it, and I've found a problem with the work that the bodyshop did :(

Changed the aux water pump this weekend along with swapping the heater matrix hoses over as they were the wrong way around, probably had no effect but I wanted it right. Filled coolant back up and all is leak free and well. Was well pleased with myself.

So onto the next job of changing the spark plugs, pretty straight forward I thought - oh no! Three leads are of 1 type and the other 3 are another type :scratch: Plug lead 4 decided to come apart when when I removed it so I pushed the lead back into it's housing, then noticed the the rubber sheath inside the metal end that grips the plug had sheared off :bad-words:

I've got the lead back in best I could but sadly it appears to be running on 5 cylinders. What's more the plug lead removal tool isn't the easiest to use when re-fitting the leads.

So it looks like I need a set of new leads :( and a car I can't :censored: use.

Anyone know how much they are from the stealer or are aftermarket leads worth considering?

Thanks for listening :)

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/corrado_electrical.php

£53+VAT & delivery (which comes up to just under £70) which is pretty darn good IMHO. They're BERU too which are an OE supplier. I think from the dealer they're well over £100..

Personally don't see the point of aftermarket leads. The original ones last years and years... lots of cars have probably never had them changed and done 120k+ and 15 years of service! :)

Keep at it mate. You can't be far from getting the car how you want it :)

The Beru ones are great- these are also worth a look- only £35 for the standard set. I fitted some to the 16v a couple of weeks ago as recommended by DG :)

Thanks for the info guys.

Can I still use the removal tool bought on here if I go for the Beru leads? I ask because the photo of the lead on the website looks different to what I have now.

Thanks

Dave

The Dubpower Leads are very good quality, but I find it impossible to use the lead removal/installation tool I have with them as they have a rubber lip that's a bit too big- as soon as I seat the lead and try and pull the tool out it seems to pull the lead out with it :mad2:

Not sure what others do with Dubpower leads TBH

VW do individual leads which are superb but it's hit and miss weather you get red or black.

If you don't mind black ones then just go for the VW spares BERU ones - very good for the cash.

The generic VW ones are £75 + vat the set from TPS for the VR

I'll get my wallet out.

Is there any left! :)

I can't really take the piss, I seem to be spending hand over fist! :shock:

VW do individual leads which are superb but it's hit and miss weather you get red or black.

If you don't mind black ones then just go for the VW spares BERU ones - very good for the cash.

There's not much point in quoting TPS prices mate as you seem to be the only person in the world who has been able to blag a TPS account! :(

There's not much point in quoting TPS prices mate as you seem to be the only person in the world who has been able to blag a TPS account! :(

Could the forum not set up an account?.......ScotVag have an account set up with TPS in glasgow, only for the paid members though, you just have to show your card.

Premium Members on VR6OC get discount at TPS.

Someone has very kindly rung up a load of TPS' around the country and set up accounts at each. I've used the Oxford TPS quite a few times in the last couple of months.

Ordered the leads yesterday at about lunch time and they came today at about the same time so good service me thinks.

Fitted them when I got home, better quality then the ones already on and dare I say it there is a slight improvement in the general running of things.

VW Spares and Beru recommended by me :D

Glad you're happy with them, Dave :) They are excellent for the money. Have used vwspares a fair bit now, and have always been impressed.