UseOnceDestroy

What bushes?!

I've got a dead wishbone bush and one of my front mounts has also reached the end ... I thought while I'm at it and I've got my suspension off ... I'm going to replace every single bush and mount there is ... front and rears.

I've been guided in the direction of polyurethane bushes ... I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for, whether there is a better brand, make model etc ...

I've been searching ebay, I've found a few kits ...

Front -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-MK3-8v-16 ... 5ad720f584

Then theres this one for double!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-CORRADO-1989-1 ... 439f87fd82

And the rears -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-MK3-8v-16 ... 414cfd2f25

or again the more expensive ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-CORRADO-1989-1 ... 439f87fd95

Would these two kits cover everything? Could anyone recommend a kit for me?

Any help is much appreciated :D

The front ARB bushes in your first link are for 16v its the end of the ARB that wont fit a VR ive been looking for the drop link bush in poly but no-one knows the part no also where the ARB fits the sub frame i think the 16v uses a 18mm ARB and the VR is 22mm so wont fit.

The steering rack bush uses only one bush not two (as per your link) the only difference is if its powersteering theres a gap in the bush for a pipe.

I have just ordered some Poly bushes by powerflex from Awesome GTI also check out the powerflex website for part no's and compatability.

Generally the front wishbones are the same (across corrado's range) the front VR ARB is model specific (uses drop links which are different to 16v's)

The rear beams are the same with all corrado's

Its quite difficult when you read these links to get the right part as the photo's are quite misleading (or no photo at all) personally i would stick with a well known brand (like powerflex) but you pay your money and take your choice..................... :salute:

Wouldn't go with poly bushes to be honest. Firm up the ride substantially with very little benefit.

For wishbone bushes, would use the standard rear ones and the genuine VW Golf R32 ones for the front. Seem to be very well suited to the Corrado.

vr6 rear bushes are same as mk3's, earlier rados use the smaller mk2 rear bush.

agree with Jim, especially as the rear beam oem items are designed to passively steer, i'd bet the polybushes wouldn't be.

Indeed - poly rear axle bushes eliminate the passive rear steer so actually degrade handling. It's the the fact that their rubber and they twist slightly that allows the passive rear steer to work.

Powerflex or superpro bushes on the rear axle, easy to fit.

Front wishbones need the mk1 tt rear wishbone bush as it's a solid bush.

You can you poly bushes on the rest of the front, you won't feel and difference in ride quality and the are easier to fit that genuine bushes as the poly bushes are mainly 2 piece items.

I agree about the rear bush i have OE myself.

I think the VR would be a bit happier on Poly than the 16v because of the heavier engine, i use coilovers with dampers set quite hard and OE bushes on the front wishbone just doesnt feel hard enough. I think it comes down to car use and driver preference suspension set up etc etc

Horses for courses like i said you pay your money and take your choice............... :salute:

Wouldn't go with poly bushes to be honest. Firm up the ride substantially with very little benefit.

For wishbone bushes, would use the standard rear ones and the genuine VW Golf R32 ones for the front. Seem to be very well suited to the Corrado.

So... for the best ride/handling balance, R32 fronts and OEM rears regardless whether you've got standard or aftermarket suspensions?

Am I on the right track?

Cheers!

I've got one with poly, and one without. The differences between the two are quite interesting...

The poly bush one actually rides quite reasonably considering, and feels utterly solid and confident. The steering response is great - very quick turn in, and really responsive. It can change direction like nothing else I've ever driven.

The rubber bush one does ride noticably nicer, but doesn't feel as planted. Turn in isn't quite so sharp, but get it in a really fast corner and you can feel the rear steering. It feels like its slightly loose at the back compared to the poly one, and the butt dyno says its actually faster overall on the twisty bits so I think it definitely works.

What I would like to do at some stage is get the R32 bushes in the front and see if it sharpens up the turn-in compared to the poly. That sounds like the best of both worlds.

:cat:

Said this many times before so I will say it again :)

Poly bushes are ok on a track car that gets trailered to races, for fast road use fit genuine VW supplied bushes using (as already mentioned) R32 front rear wishbone bushes as an uprated item)

Poly bushes do feel tight to start with but due to the fact they don't flex the rear beam won't passively steer and the front rear wishbone bush which need to flex wont and will wear the metal of the wishbone. There was a VW Vortex thread that showed the damage post polybushes but since their re-designed site launched none of the old links work.

Finally when you have finished make sure you get it four wheel aligned by a place that knows what they are doing (you should get a before and after print out) that extra £60-150 you spend on this really makes the difference.

Cheers for everyones opinions, I think I'm leaning in the direction of the R32 bushes front and OEM for the rest ...

Is there a specific model/year I need for the R32 bushes?

Cheers for everyones opinions, I think I'm leaning in the direction of the R32 bushes front and OEM for the rest ...

Is there a specific model/year I need for the R32 bushes?

If you manage to find the parts no. etc please post them here... it's save me some works when I'm upgrading mine next year. :salute: