Sign in to follow this  
n3p

Another "What wire is this" question

Hi all,

Anyone know what this wire is? Found it dangling from underneath so either it broke apart and was left hanging, or what was supposed to be on the end grinded off on the road :lol:

Tried to route through to the source but it's such a spaghetti junction i gave up :gag: . Car is a 16v

Cheers

Does anything not work on the car?

In fact. Scrub that. It's a Corrado. Stupid question. Sorry.

Everything works as it should....well, everything that I *need* to work :lol: . I replaced my alternator a couple of months back, so i'm pretty sure the blue wire is there but i'll take a look tomorrow. Cheers

bump...

Anyone have any ideas? Tried tracing it, I think it either comes from an oil filter sensor, or it branches off somewhere through the dash ? Really hard to tell when everything is caked in crud!

bump...

Anyone have any ideas? Tried tracing it, I think it either comes from an oil cooler sensor, or it branches off somewhere through the dash ? Really hard to tell when everything is caked in crud!

On my VR6 there is 1 blue wire going to one of the sensors that sits on top of the oil-filter - not sure how it's on the 16V though - but might sound right?.

Hi. Had a look at my 16v,and think it is either the pressure sensor wire for the oil, the one on the right of of the filter housing, but then you would have lights and buzzers going!! But I reckon I found one that is into a connector just like the one you are holding which should be clipped onto the starter motor,and it then travels along insde a loom sleeve around the engine mount back up around the oil cooler and onto the alternator just behind the big gauge wire bolted to the back of it. hope that makes sense and is of help. Cheers. Vince.

On my VR6 there is 1 blue wire going to one of the sensors that sits on top of the oil-filter - not sure how it's on the 16V though - but might sound right?.

Yup same here - had a look earlier and it's still there :D thanks!

Hi. Had a look at my 16v,and think it is either the pressure sensor wire for the oil, the one on the right of of the filter housing, but then you would have lights and buzzers going!! But I reckon I found one that is into a connector just like the one you are holding which should be clipped onto the starter motor,and it then travels along insde a loom sleeve around the engine mount back up around the oil cooler and onto the alternator just behind the big gauge wire bolted to the back of it. hope that makes sense and is of help. Cheers. Vince.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for going to have a look, I checked the oil filter housing earlier and the wire is present. With the other wire you mentioned, did you mean the smaller wire which should be connected to the alternator, or a wire going off somewhere behind it? Also had a quick peek at the alternator too, the connector was still fixed but I didn't check for continuity. Will have another look tomorrow once daylight returns. From your description, it sounds like we're talking about the same wire. Thanks for your help 8)

Hi. Yes the wire that is connected 'to' the alternator. Don't think much goes any further at that end of the engine?. If it is that wire, which i'm not sure what its for, it would have had to have been cut or pulled quite hard to free it from the loom, to be dangling on the floor!. Goodluck :) Vince.