Sign in to follow this  
fla

separating front hub knuckles?

I've got a set of front hub knuckles that i want to separate for powder coating. so far, i've managed to take the hub nut off and remove the driveshafts, but THAT IT! I cant seem to shift the three bolts holding the wheel hub on even with an impact screwdriver and loads of penetrating oil. Assuming i can get this done, how would i then remove the bearing? Thanks.

Pics below:

I did my wheel bearing the other week and I needed to get a very well fitting screwdriver and then whack it in with a hammer so it was definitely all the way in, then leaning on I managed to get them to turn!

Once you have the 3 screws removed, you need some form of puller to separate the hub from the carrier. I think you need the driveshaft still in though as you need something in the middle to push against whilst pulling the hub. Alternatively, if you have access to a press (this is what I done) you can push the hub off from the other side, you'll need the right sized float to push just the hub through the bearing, and then obviously the hub needs to be able to fall away from the carrier so you need to position it on something properly.

Then to get the bearing out you need to remove the circlips holding it in and then just press out the bearing using the correct sized float.

Alternatively you could just take the hubs/carriers intact to a garage and slip them a tenner to split it all for you, depending on how friendly your local garage is they should be ok to replace the bearings etc for you as you have done the hard part getting it all off!

Those 3 screws are just for the ABS ring I thought?

Anyway, yeah you're right Rob, stealth have got such a tool you mount to the carrier and it's wound in with the air gun to seperate the hub, but it seldom works and they end up using the bench press in most cases :D

Handy to know though as I fancy having a crack at my bearings. They've only been in 5 minutes, so they're past it already :lol:

Those 3 screws are just for the ABS ring I thought?

Anyway, yeah you're right Rob, stealth have got such a tool you mount to the carrier and it's wound in with the air gun to seperate the hub, but it seldom works and they end up using the bench press in most cases :D

Handy to know though as I fancy having a crack at my bearings. They've only been in 5 minutes, so they're past it already :lol:

Yeah I think they are just for the ABS ring, so not entirely necessary to remove if just removing the hub from the bearing etc. In fact I remember now, I split the hub with ABS ring attached from the carrier, then I put the hub in a vice, whacked a screwdriver in and leant on it to undo them!

Yeah, we tried separating the hub from the carrier with it still on the car with a big gear puller but it wasn't working as well as we'd hoped so I just pulled it all off and used the press! 8)

Here's a good guide on VWVortex on how to replace front wheel bearings yourself, however this is using a proper puller that does the lot, but it at least gives you a good idea of what needs to be done!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1722551

Good guide. You can use a fancy puller or big hammer and a bit of imagination. Please be aware using hammer !! Do not hit the hum as you can leave marks on it !! I've replaced 2 front bearings using hammer and socket keys as a part what i was hitting. You can't hit hub be hammer because you will damage it, you always need something on top of that what you will be hitting. Old socket keys or bit of thick piper are perfect for this job.

BTW. I was quoted 150 quid by local garage for one side to replace my front bearings. It took me 3 hours and I saved 300 quid minus cost of bearings.

cheers for the pointers Rob. These are a spare set that i wanted to dismantle to get cleaned and powder coated. I've got a bearing puller, but i dont think it will be big or strong enough for the hub, tbh. Maybe its 'off to the garage' time; dont really trust garages any more, they might just destroy the whole lot.

cheers for the pointers Rob. These are a spare set that i wanted to dismantle to get cleaned and powder coated. I've got a bearing puller, but i dont think it will be big or strong enough for the hub, tbh. Maybe its 'off to the garage' time; dont really trust garages any more, they might just destroy the whole lot.

It's a fairly straight forward job for a competant garage to just replace the bearing for you like that, and the one near me just ask for a tenner to do it and it doesn't take them that long. The cost of replacing bearings is in the labour to get to the bearing not so much the actual replacement, and depending on whether they remove the hub carriers etc in 1 go they'll have to do the tracking etc afterwards.

I usually prefer to just give the hub/carrier etc to my local garage and I stand there and watch them do it to make sure it's done right :lol: but in this last case they were too busy and my bearing was fooooooooooked, luckily enough my mum's fella builds drag cars and has a nie big workshop with all the toys in for me to use! :notworthy: