Sign in to follow this  
krnau

any thoughts about ford probe 2.5 v6 24v?

I'm getting one of these for my other half, at a price of 350Pounds with a head gasket gone. Well, that's what the seller says, maybe its a dead thermostate or a non-working radiator fan or oil cooler failure.. who knows!

I know it isn't a fast car, it's only 160 HP but we really like the look of it. I even considered getting one when I was looking for a corrado :D

Has anyone ever had one of these? Is it really hard to do the head gasket job? It's got two heads I think, but if needed, there will come a full engine rebuild :grin:

well now, any opinions are wellcome :)

thanks for looking!!!

Mondeo ST24 engine from memory, so parts are fairly easily available, relatively easy to see decent power with some ST cams too,

Also a Mazda MX6,

Nice cars, not the best, but comfy enough cruisers.

Mondeo ST24 engine from memory, so parts are fairly easily available, relatively easy to see decent power with some ST cams too,

Also a Mazda MX6,

Nice cars, not the best, but comfy enough cruisers.

thanks :notworthy: It looks like I'll have to look for some of these cams :lol:

It's a well known mod done to the cougar, So I don't see why it shouldn't work for the Probe seeing as it's the same 2.5 Duratec V6.

St200 cams are the ones you'll be wanting from the top of my head.

what power increase should I expect from them? I think that this 2.5 24v engine is somehow limited to only 160hp or at least, 160hp looks like poo power coming out of a 2500 24v engine, don't you think?

HEAVY cars! at least it feels heavy when you have to push it around the garage, it took at least 2 mechanics to move 1 of those at my garage, and there was nowt wrong with the brakes!

You'd be looking at 200hp, as it'd then essentially be a Mondeo ST200 engine instead of the Mondeo ST24... If that makes sense :)

hey, thank you all :D are these parts often on ebay?

should I only need cams, or inlet manifold/etc as well?

The seller says that the car is literally drinking coolant, and that the exhaust is really smokey so... :( how can I know which of the 2 heads is gone? SHould I take it to a garage or can I do something else?

You could try doing a compression test on all cylinders to see if one or two are down in pressure. Also you could have a look at the plugs for differences between one bank and the other.

If the car is running rough you could disconnect th plug leads one at a time to see i the roughness is unaffected when the lead is removed from a particular cylinder indicating a problem with it.

I'm going to have a look at that car tmrw after work. I'll come back with news then. thanks!

If its the same engine as the Mazda Xedos 9 i would think its more likely to be piston rings than head gasket, in my experience people use cheap oil and it wears down the piston rings, buy with caution, headgasket would normally cause the water to pressurise

I hope it's only head gasket (s)

I can't afford another full rebuild at the moment. the corrado is stealing 99,99999% of my money :nuts: ,.. so the probe will stay on a second place (I hope my gf doesn't read this!!). well she speaks only a little English so no probs 8) :lol: :lol:

the seller didn't show up. we had to meet at 18h and I waited until 20h....

there are some lies and strange things in this business... and I think that he may try to steal the money from me, or my car, or both really... :(

8) he may think that anyone using the internet is a freak, and so we'll see if he has enough bollocks :salute: :lol: I'm meeting him on friday, so there may be some action... 8)

well, I finally paid 280& for the probe 8)

I've managed to make some room for the probe's storage in my bedroom (you can see the bed on the left :) ):

DSCN6952.JPG[/attachment:2ji6oi2m]

no! just kidding :lol: :lol: it's my gf's garage :D

tomorrow we're pulling both rocker covers out to see if there's anything wrong. I have pulled out ignition leads and I found coolant on them, and a little bit more of coolant on the spark plugs... but... aren't spark plugs supposed to lock hermetically the combustion chambers=?? how can coolant have escaped from the cylinders? (The seller said that one/both head gasket was gone and it was drinking water..).

btw, with the engine on (looks to run really fine), there is white smoke going out of the exhaust; that's why we suspect about the head gasket(s)...

no! just kidding :lol: :lol: it's my gf's garage :D

As long as you don't tell us it's your gf bed....lol.....:)

btw clarkson did a test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6bD1aoXHkw

And YES it does include a Corrado ;)

nice video. however I find it harder to understand English in speech than in a text :(

but I have (I think) understood that the corrado is better on cornering than the probe 8) and I have a corrado while she has a probe :lol: :lol: but mine is a valver, and hers a V6 :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

well, the probe is technically mine as I've registered it under my name :lol:

Loving that video...

"...and this is the Espresso. It's like the Corrado. One shot of it and it blows your head off"

:D

Loving that video...

"...and this is the Espresso. It's like the Corrado. One shot of it and it blows your head off"

:D

:)

drained the oil today, and it smells like fuel :nuts: what may cause fuel-oil mixing?? oiil was brown btw

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfaceitegasofa.JPG[/attachment:2yfhc9h8]

spark plug "holes" (with spark in place) show coolant. why? :|

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfrefrig-bujia.JPG[/attachment:2yfhc9h8]

and this is how the engine is now