Sign in to follow this  
devilmatt

Running without a charger?

Hi all.

I am looking at running my G60 with the charger removed for a week or so but am having trouble finding out how this is done. I need to give the charger to G-Werks to carry out some work on it but the car is my daily and sad though it is, I don't think I could be without it for more than a day or two.

So far, I know that you need to blank the oil feed and fit a smaller belt, although I don't know what belt is needed.

I see by looking through the forum that people have done this before, but can't find any difinitive info on what is needed.

If any body could help with a part number or supplier for the belt, or can tell me if there are any additional components that are needed, it would be hugely helpful.

Thanks.

Have you tried chatting with G-Werks about this - they may even be able to supply the right belt??

I did ask G-Werks and Rob suggested looking on Dubforce.net but I couldn't see anything about it on there. I don't think they keep the belt in stock.

Oh, now I just look lazy! Well found mate. I'm off to B&Q to get some drain pipe. :clap:

CHEERS!

dont do it it will run shit drink fuel like its gone out of fashion and be as slow as crap

g werks do to a drive in drive out same day service just an extra £50 well worth it for the hassles your going to have

probly got to book in advance though have a chat with darren (g werks)

cheers stu..

Well, I don't like the idea of it running **** or being as slow as actual crap, but the G-Werks drive in+out service is actually £115 now. Also, I was after getting the charger ported and polished while its out which Rob said is done over a few days. I have an awkward 4 on 4 off shift pattern and have to drive to work, so at best I have a 4 day window to get the charger out, get the work done and get it back in. I might have to don my sensible trousers and just get a standard service this time round. I'm not going to have a lot of spare dosh to spend on the car for a while anyway so maybe its for the best. :(

I went for the drive in service a few weeks ago as the charger is such a tw8t to get off without air tools but am very happy with the results... had a 68mm pully, SNS chip and RSR outlet fitted at the same time, now my drive to work puts a stupid smile on my face every day! 8)

Hey Dan. Have you had your charger ported and polished too or is it standard other than the pulley? I thought it may aswell get done while its out of the car. I will go for a 68mm pulley at some point but that will have to wait as I got engaged last month. :brickwall: Maybe I'd be better off going for the smaller pulley instead of the P+P. Who knows? :shrug:

Mine was ported by Jabba in 2003 by the previous owner so cant tell you how much difference it makes really, although binning that silencer fitting a 68mm pully and chip makes a lot of difference to the grunt :D

I can imagine. Think that might be a tad out of my price range at the moment tho. Its probably a case of rebuild and porting or rebuild and pulley.

Conclusion: Found my sensible trousers next to my credit card statement. Booked in for a standard service on Monday. Real life sucks. I wanna live in Forza.

Conclusion: Found my sensible trousers next to my credit card statement. Booked in for a standard service on Monday. Real life sucks. I wanna live in Forza.

Yup real life sucks. Money is so tight here im contemplating rebuilding the carger myself with a kit.........

I thought about that too. You pay a fair bit of money for convenience taking it somewhre to get it done. Especially having it removed and refitted too. But you have to ask yourself, if I rebuilt it myself, would I be totally comfortable everytime I see that pointer approaching the redline? If you wouldn't then its probably money well spent.

Or if you just don't like getting dirty. Which is fair enough.

I've considered all those things. g-werks is too far for me to travel, so am going to have to remove the charger myself anyway. I've got all the equipment at work to clean, blast and port the charger, its just whether I can do a gd job on the bearings and seals.

I would have thought replacing the bearings and seals would be the easy bit. The other thing G-werks do is acid dip the casings and refinish everything. Also, they can do it in a day where as it might take a couple for us mere mortals. Especially if you round off a bolt or find something seized.

well if you re building the point of advice is bearing in the freeze and casting in the oven makes it easyier that way when you refit the bearings

cheers stu

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably buy the kit soon and attempt a rebuild at some point. I'll try and do a build log on it with some piccies, assuming it is a success!

Good point about the freeze and heat, I had heard to heat the casing but a bit of liquid nitrogen on the bearing should ease things up a bit I would have thought.

If you have some liquid nitrogen laying around then why not! And if you oven bake the casing at gas mark 5 for an hour, with a bit of basil and coriander, it comes out lovely.

And if you oven bake the casing at gas mark 5 for an hour, with a bit of basil and coriander, it comes out lovely

you forgot the garlic butter !! :lol: