Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

werrrrr weerrrr weerrrr!! ????

I'm getting a strange werrrring noise coming from the front of the car. At 1st I thought it might be the wheel bearing, but now I'm not sure. It's happening when I'm going in a straight line??? You don't really notice the noise till about 40mph & it is progressively louder by 60mph. If I dip the clutch it makes no immediate difference. At 40mph the noise is like having a 2nd supercharger, at 60 it's like I have about 5!! What could it be?? ! I don't think the cars performance has been affected by the problem.......... I'm sure it's coming from the passenger side, so I don't think it's anything to do with the charger.

Could this noise be caused by a split hose or something? That's maybe opening at a certain boost perssure?

Kinda hoping it's not clutch/gearbox, anyone have any idea's?

Thanks

Dan

If you dip the clutch and the noise stays the same, it's not the clutch or any of the engine components. 8)

It's likely to be a dead wheel bearing, or it could be tyre noise if you've had new tyres recently...

It's likely to be a dead wheel bearing, or it could be tyre noise if you've had new tyres recently...

quite the opposite!!! I'm desprate for some new fronts! the outsides are really warn! Was going to stick some new ones on at the weekend. Think that's due to them being stretched over the wheel & cornering hard.

Dan you must be able to tell a wheel bearing noise having owned FORDS!! :lol:
To ba honest I never have that many problems with the turbo. The Corrado has had more problems like that. But no gearboxs blowing up yet!! Thank god!! 8)

Could well just be tyre noise from your dead tyres then! :roll: Get some new ones on, and while they're fitting them, casually ask about the wheel bearings... :wink: :lol: 8)

Do really think it could be the tyres? It's literally about an inch (width ways) on the outside that's really low

Do really think it could be the tyres? It's literally about an inch (width ways) on the outside that's really low

that'll be the bit that's in contact with the ground then! :roll: :wink: :lol:

I dunno if it is that or not, but I've just found out that the "dead front bearings" on my Golf is actually crap tyres making all the noise... :roll: :lol: Saves me having to strip the front suspension to get the bearings pressed out at least! 8)

could be the tensioner on the charger or maybe a bad charger bearing.

pop the bonnet n have a listen. lots of G60 make rather horrible belt noises as the tensioner is too tight or starting to wear. check alternator too.

could be the tensioner on the charger or maybe a bad charger bearing.

pop the bonnet n have a listen. lots of G60 make rather horrible belt noises as the tensioner is too tight or starting to wear. check alternator too.

Doubt it Gazza, if the noise changes with car speed, but not with engine speed, it's VERY unlikely to be anything on the engine...

Don't forget to ask about the bearings while they're doing your tyres Dan! Cheapest way of getting 'em checked I can think of... :wink: 8) :lol:

What about the water pump? (seems that its the only thing not to be mentioned) :lol: :lol:

Again, powered by the engine so the noise would change with engine speed, not road speed.... :-P

My old Bridgestones made a wuh wuh wuh noise on certain surfaces, especially when cornering and braking.....but they were worn in the middle. Changing them to F1s removed the noise completely. I thought it was a bearing too and did Henny's clutch dipping thing...... so it might be your rubber. Sometimes the obscure things like that are over looked.

it wasn't the tyres boys :(

I sprayed the pulley up with WD40 & I thought it seemed better. The car was behaving it's self all the way to the tyre place & back. I thought I had cured it, but last night it was back again!!

I don't think the noise is coming from the charger side of the engine??

Just to clarify, the noise starts at about 40mph and then is at it's loudest at about 60.mph If I dip the clutch the noise gets quieter the closer if

it gets to 40mph and then stops ?? :roll:

Keep those suggestions coming.....

lemme get this right, :? If your car is making the noise at around 60, and you press the clutch in, does the noise stay at the same level, or does it alter as the engine's revs drop to idle as you are still rolling along at around 60mph?

If the noise is only road speed dependant, ie. the noise stays constant at a speed, no matter what the engine is doing (idling of driving the car) then it's most likely to be part of the transmission side of the car, or possibly brakes rubbing or a dodgy bush...

Wheel bearings, dodgy CV joints, differential or gearbox... :|

Did you ask at the tyre place about the bearings, and what sort of state are your brake disks in?

lemme get this right, If your car is making the noise at around 60, and you press the clutch in, does the noise stay at the same level, or does it alter as the engine's revs drop to idle as you are still rolling along at around 60mph?

I'm thinking now it would be a pulley on the engine. I do think the noise gets quieter as the revs go down. But this only seems to happen over 40 regardless of the revs?? :cry: I have lubricated the pulleys up, sometimes it makes the noise & sometimes it doesn't :roll: Its not anywhere near as bad as it was b4 though.

I'm booking it in to Jabba today for a service & cambelt & tensioner, & supercharger belt change. Hopefully this might change things

Which pulley is then tensioner? I'm thinking it could be that - And hoping it's nothing on the charger!

Did you ask at the tyre place about the bearings, and what sort of state are your brake disks in?

:( No I forgot, I was waiting around for an hour&a half in the cold fr my car to get on the rap & forgot :oops: Only remembered when I was on the was home, but thought it didn't mnatter then cos the car wasn't making the noise

Day 14 in the big trouble house...................

Dan has has changed his mind once more. The problem is no longer the pulley, its the wheels bearing. :)

I had it on the motorway late last night, with the whole road to myself I did a bit of weaving. Just a case of finding out which one now :?

Going to take it over to extubro2003 some time this week to confirm, but I reckon that's what he's going to say 2.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Problem diagnosed. It's the Passenger wheel bearing as I thought. Thank god for that!

Cheers exturbo2003 for having a look! :mrgreen: