Sign in to follow this  
4eyes2wheels

Battery Terminal Connections

I had a dodgy starting episode which appears to have been down to a loose battery connection.

Thing is, all other cars I've bothered to look at in the past have had cables with clamp connectors that go around the post on the battery and are like thisQ859[1].jpg[/attachment:33sxoptj]

where the nut and bolt used to secure the connection operate in the horizontal plane.

The one on the Corrado (mine at least) has a nut and bolt operating in the VERTICAL plane and as the nut was missing and has been replaced by the nearest thing I had to hand - a basic nut - I'm not convinced it is really a great improvement.

Are the nuts and bolts used a special thing? Should I just replace both connectors with new ones anyway to be safe?

Thanks

the vertical bolt has (or should have) one end with a 'v' shape that squeezes the clamp together, perfectly up to the job and better than the earlier cars that had a cheap pressed metal clamp that bolted up in the horizontal.

Clamps themselves aren't usually the problem and are easy to clean up, it's the corrosion where the cable is clamped into the clamp, at both ends, battery and starter etc.

It is indeed as you say - the clamp has a V shape that is closed by the nut having a reciprocal V shape which when tightened up using the bolt will close the clamp nice and tight.

Problem I now have is that trying to make the connections really secure and only having one of the correct nuts I have now got the rapid clicking sound that suggests the battery connections are not tight enough and to quote Crazy Dave from DG Auto tech

"Cranking need 4-500amps! Loose terminals will float when loose and cause the connection to break down. By float I mean they create a huge magnetic field that makes the terminals separate"

So until I can find the right nut I am stuffed. Tried Halfrauds this evening (only place open when I get home) and they have not got the right thing. Bought two replacement battery connectors but they look sufficiently different for me not to dig myself further into trouble. :(

Guess I'll post something in the wanted section for a nut!