Sign in to follow this  
dirtytorque

g60 topmount

does this look right?

It is a gsf part.The oe ref part number on the box 357412 329 which is for an early g60 and mine is a late.

I was expecting a seperate bearing but this one has one inbuilt.

Does this look right?

Looks wrong to me...

looks like an early 4cyl corrado/passat one to me, golf G60 used the same,

if your car has the late suspension then as you say it should have the separate bearing type of mount.

Edit: just seen the part no. 357 is passat, so yes it's the wrong one, early type.

note the chassis no. in the pic below:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfImage1.gif[/attachment:2nmdnq22]

although, having said that the late suspension is not listed for the G60:

Image2.gif[/attachment:2nmdnq22]

thnks for your efforts. 8) Well i'll disassemble the front suspension at the weekend to compare the parts for sure.

means i won't be able to finish it this weekend if it is wrong but there you go..

357412329 is correct for the car - that's the heavy duty replacement for the original MK2 top mounts developed for the G60 engine.

If it's from GSF though I wouldn't use it - the seperate MK3 type mounts also give you more ride comfort.

357412329 is correct for the car - that's the heavy duty replacement for the original MK2 top mounts developed for the G60 engine.

If it's from GSF though I wouldn't use it - the seperate MK3 type mounts also give you more ride comfort.

to be fair the GSF top mounts I've had on my valver have lasted years and that's on eibach springs, tiny bit of play in them but no worse than the VAG ones get after 30 or 40K either :shrug:

Can you stick the later top mount straight on an early strut, or do you need other components, spring plates etc.?

Can you stick the later top mount straight on an early strut, or do you need other components, spring plates etc.?

The plastic bearing needs to sit on a later type 'flat' upper spring plate...

You also need whats called the 'threaded bush' which is basically a flanged nut along with the mount and bearing.

i put gsf mounts in my golf and they're holding up ok.I'll take my chances.Some parts i'd always go VAG with but i'll take my chances with the mounts.

A bit off topic but are the mounts supposed to sit higher when the cars on the ground and then drop down when you jack it off the ground?

i put gsf ones on for last years MOT with ap coilovers.

they failed this year so put vw ones on :D

won't be fitting any at this rate.this is the second 22m deep set ring spanner that I have bught that doesn't want to to fit over the nut.

:mad2: :scratch:

i bought a cheap extended spark plug wrench from halfords, then chopped it down to about 40mm and used that with some mole grips and the alan key to undo mine recently, as found my ring spanners were too beefy to fit into the top plate.

/\/\/\

cool thnks.You gave my brain a jog.

I decided to go same theme just different route.

Just took some of the material off the ring spanner to dee beef it so it can get in the recess.

if you still have trouble in future then get yourself a set of "drive-thru" ratchets. (i can't remember the proper official name), if you check out the pics at the bottom of the page here you'll see what i mean - very useful.

if not, do you know anyone with a small compressor you could borrow? also an easy way of doing it...

Yep - either use the above, a 14mm spark plug socket or a lambda socket

Other option is take to a garage and get them off with a windy gun - or buy one of those cheap 12V ones.

if you still have trouble in future then get yourself a set of "drive-thru" ratchets. (i can't remember the proper official name), if you check out the pics at the bottom of the page here you'll see what i mean - very useful.

if not, do you know anyone with a small compressor you could borrow? also an easy way of doing it...

wow,not seen one of those b4.

Topmounts and suspension all changed now but I will defo invest for future work,thnks.