Sign in to follow this  
devilmatt

G60 Cambelt replacement.

Hi.

Sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it through the search bar.

I'm looking at getting my G60 cambelt reaplaced. So far I've been quoted £375+vat by a reputable but clearly expensive garage, and £145 all inclusive from a garage that I've never heard of but are local and associated with the GoodGarageScheme. Money is tight at the moment as I had the charger rebuilt last week, so the cheaper option is very appealing. Is it a case of "a cambelt is a cambelt" so if they change various belts all the time then they can't really nauze it up, or does £145 including vat, parts and labour sound like cause to be a bit weary? I definately think £375+vat is a bit optimistic on their part.

Any opinions or advise would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt.

They did say it was for the tensioner aswell, which is why it seems too good. I was expecting to be at least £250 lighter after this. Maybe I should stop being a big wimp and book it in. :camp:

Well parts will come to about £20 so its just £125 for labour. Not sure how long they take to change, but 2 1/2 hours at £50 per hour sounds reasonable

The Cambelt kit from VW will only be about £20+vat to the garage then it's a book time of 2 hours labour to do it.

£145 sounds reasonable but I would insist on them using genuine parts from TPS

EDIT - beaten to it but bassically as said above.

Cool. They do say that they use only "top quality parts". I'll find out if that means VAG or some equivalent. Quite chuffed its not going to cost me as much as I thought. That means I will be able to afford food this month. The fiance will be pleased. :luvlove:

Quite chuffed its not going to cost me as much as I thought. That means I will be able to afford food this month. The fiance will be pleased. :luvlove:

I wouldn't go shopping just yet, it's only the 2nd of the month :lol:

cambelt and tensioner from TPS, then the work itself cost me £125 with the garage that I use, and he definately does a good job, so £145 seems fine.

£375 sounds like they are a bunch of thieves

I got it done at my local garage in the end. I've not been there before but was very pleasantly surprised by the way that they looked after me as well as my car. The £145 was for genuine vw belt and tensioner. When I collected the car afterwards, the bloke told me that it took longer than he thought because the supercharger was in the way, but he stuck to the quote he had given me. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to plug businesses on the forum, but I will name if I'm allowed (?). I will definately be going back there.

And they were amazed that I had been quoted so much by the other garage.

So, next question. Whats a reasonable quote for an alternator replacement? :?