Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Attaching side trim (bump strips)

Asking the CF for advice on sticky substances.

Could be a recipe for disaster!

I think there's some decent trim tape you can use that's pretty thin. Dread to say it but, Halfords perhaps? Trying to remember where the last stuff I used came from.

Yeah i was going to try halfords, i'm assuming It'll be slightly spongy or a mm or so thick?

I bought some of this stuff

brilliant, not actually used it for corrado door trims yet but for the VW badge on the back of my golf and a load of other uses, very strong and miles of it!

Try your local body shop and ask them for some trim tape. The last time I asked they gave me two rolls for free :D

The strip on my drivers door is coming loose. It's getting worse so I need to do something about it. I don't really want to take it off, strip the old tape off and reply it (the proper way to do it) so any advice on a quick fix? Can I just put some of the tape one where it is coming away and press it down?

can't see why you can't just stick doen the bit that is coming away, other than struggling to get the tape in position without leaving a gap for water to sit in.

Same goes for width of tape, ideally you want some the full width of the trim, so no gap for water to get into, but with care, two strips of the narrower stuff would do and it's cheaper and gives you more options for sticking down other smaller things :)

right...my strip fell off, leaving a load of stubborn tape residue. drove around without it until I had time to attack the old tape and inevitably someone dinged my door in the meantime. anyway...got it off and re-applied with double-sided tape onto a clean door. couple of days later and it fell off again. re-applied with a hair dryer this time and it is starting to peel off again. it's as if the strip is wanting to bend off but it was 100% straight when taped on.

the tape I used was from halfords (used 2 rolls of it now) but think I will need something stronger (that won't damage the paint). so...what are your suggestions then? the stuff from halfords is shit tbh.

Just ordered some. Should have done this in the first place really as the description on ebay actually says it is much better than the foam stuff I used. Cheers mate.

Little note to everyone...don't bother with the halfords stuff for your door strips!

beware, once you press that stuff in place it really sticks!

only issue is that VW attached those trims with what appears to be a glue rather than tape, in order to stop water building up behind the trim you need to make sure the tape is carefully joined if you need more than one strip to make up the width of the trim, it will also be very fractionally thicker than the original glue, but I can't see it can be noticed, just make sure you get a neat edge to the tape along the edge of the trim.