Sign in to follow this  
farmboymatt

G60 Clutch Problem

Hi, had a quick scan of the forum and couldn't find any relevent threads so thought I'd just ask.

Got a 1991 rado g60, got a rough idea of what might be happening but second opinions are always good.

Basically sometimes the clutch and gear engagement is fine but sometimes it gets locked in reverse and sometimes selecting forward gears is an issue especially 3rd, you gotta take it easy. Theres no noticable clutch slip which makes me think the friction plates are ok, was thinking maybe the thrust bearing might be getting worn so its not engaging properly. I do have an odd tinkling noise when i turn left but think thats unrelated.

Oh yeah anyone know anywhere good for 68mm pulleys and smaller charger belts?

thanks

matt.p

id be looking at the cable ajustment and worn out shifter tower

mine used to jam in reverse..was ajustment issues

My 92 G60 had problem when hot, would get stuck in reverse & take a lot of force to move gear lever. I was advised in 1993 that it was a known problem due to the clutch not moving freely when hot & the dealer offered to fit a modified clutch free of charge which they did & have not had the problem since. Dont know if this was done as a re-call by VW, I have a feeling it might have been, long time ago now.

Has your car ever had the clutch replaced early in its life?

This refers to the above problem from the CCA site:-

Notchy Transmission, Reverse Gear Binding - All G60 (90-92), Early VR6 (92)

- why: do not have the clutch with Cd or Ni plated splines (many had their 2nd gear syncro die)

- solution: get the Cd or Ni Coated Clutch

The clutch discs that came with the early cars have a black anodized like finish on the splined hub. The new style discs have a bright nickel plated hub that slides on the mainshaft easier. The problem is that when the clutch is released, the old style discs would not slide away from the flywheel, which causes hard shifting and grinding. This can damage the syncros and the gear sets if not corrected. Clutch jobs are much cheaper than trans repairs.

Thanks for the replies, album56 seems to be closest to the problem and that would make sense.

I can't I do have a lot of paperwork with her but haven't looked through for clutch replacements, it's got 145K on the clock surely this wouldn't have been achieved on the original clutch?

I'm guessing that all modern clutched availiable for this car is of the right type

thanks

matt.p