Sign in to follow this  
Corrado_Addict

Nasty Surprise In My G60

Before my g60 goes off to the scrapyard and I will be extremely happy to see the back of this complete nightmare of a machine, infact I'll celebrate by slamming a can of irn bru against the side of the car.

I've been stripping parts off it and well I noticed this, I remember going on about a distinct rattle but no one else could pick up on what I was hearing, I was still sure there was something there after getting it checked and well after removing the rocker cover this was revealed.....

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

Absolutely f**king appauled too see that!

Woah! Thats utterly mullered... Any sign of the missing bits or do you think it was put in like that by the PO?

It took ages to find that, i was to busy looking at cam lobes!

Nasty........im off to check mine now!

I can't see anything wrong..?

The 8v Mechanical lifter heads have 5 cam bearings, the Hydraulic heads have 4 bearings and one oil relief valve/squirter or whatever you call it just like on your picture.

It should have a bearing there bud, its actually sharp and un-even, defo looks like its been broken :bad-words:

On hydraulic lifter heads there's no bearing between cyl 3 & 4. Think I read somewhere that the oil pressure used on the mechanical head was too much for the hydraulic lifters, so they fitted an oil relief valve / oil squirter instead.. It's more or less the same casting as the mechanical heads, so it looks a bit odd.

Hope these pictures will convince you.. :)

This is how my new SLS big valve head is looking f.ex.

DSC02602.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

My old head..

IMG_04631024x768.jpg

My other spare head..

IMG_1375.jpg

My FACTORY NEW EV-code head.. (8v gti)

IMAG0061.jpg

Hmmm when I 1st seen that I was like erm :censored:

As every engine I've seen otherwise has had a full set of bearings, I never had the rocker cover off the old red one so I didn't know.

Once again this forum has educated me 8)

I'll eat my humble pie too, but I must admit it does look like there is a lump missing at the top.

Yeah I can't see much wrong with that at all - actually looks really clean for a G60 head as several I have seen have gone a very tarnished orange colour which people seem to think is to do with high temps and lack of oil changes - yours looks mint!

Are you really scrapping it??? If so I hope the shell is rotten otherwise it would be a great shame to scrap it, especially a G60 as they are getting really rare nowadays.

Yeah I can't see much wrong with that at all - actually looks really clean for a G60 head as several I have seen have gone a very tarnished orange colour which people seem to think is to do with high temps and lack of oil changes - yours looks mint!

Are you really scrapping it??? If so I hope the shell is rotten otherwise it would be a great shame to scrap it, especially a G60 as they are getting really rare nowadays.

If he says it looks mint, its mint lol.

I agree though, i wouldnt scrap it unless the shells had it!

If he says it looks mint, its mint lol.

I agree though, i wouldnt scrap it unless the shells had it!

good point. if shell is fine i could pick it up? i live in aberdeen. no far. :)

Unfortunately the shell is the reason for wanting too scrap it bud. U can basically pick holes in the chassis under the floor and the seats. The whole car was a nightmare from start too finish but I still feel pretty gutted even after everything, just got a couple of parts to remove tomorrow then it'll be a gonner :(