Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Fixed Height Column Mod - Parts List?

I'll take the cowling if poll250 doesn't want it, i was close to ordering one last year when davidwort first did the write up but never got got round to it, i regret that now :lol:

Cowling going poll250's way.

As one final shot, how many others are wanting cowlings? Just wondering if it is worth one last go with the dealers to see if we can source anymore, but seeing as im not doing this for profit i only want to order as required.

Fitted my cowling yesterday, fits a treat and looks a lot better than having no cowling at all :lol:

I now have the bottom half of an early cowling going spare though so again if someone has/can get the top half then we can make up a complete cowling.

Likewise.

I checked and the early lower half will happily clip together with a late top half.... so I too now have a spare lower half. Ross has a late top half so we do have one complete cowling spare for someone, and another surplus lower half...

thats a shame still interested if anyone get get me a late upper cowling i bought a complete fixed column of an early 16v so should have my column fitted in the next week or two

Finally completed fitting the fixed column - wow what a difference! Really gald ive done this mod no more vague steering.

Just got back from holiday to find my eBay fixed column (£20!) waiting, as well as my cowling from Ross (Tekara)

Opened my emails and my local VW dealer Dave had just emailed to say all the other parts had arrived today! woooop I might get a bit over excited and try and do it all tonight- How long should it take roughly?

Has anyone tried using a set of Irwins on the shear bolts yet?

Big shout out to Tekara for the cowling: absolute legend sorting these out!

... How long should it take roughly?

Hour, hour and a half ish with couple of coffee breaks and faffing about a bit :lol: Mind you I had a complete column so it was just remove the old one (drilling sheer bolts out), swap the ignition barrels over, then fit the fixed column (bit of faffing about getting the UJ on etc).

Took me about 2 hours working somewhat slowly, the only real pain is the drilling of the sheer bolts - took out a few cheap drill bits on those :lol:

All in all not a complex job, just typical Haynes style - take the parts off and refit in reverse.

Yeah I'm a bit worried about drilling the shear bolts. Will get the Irwins on the case this evening and see how they get on... Will report back!

you can also use a chisel to take out the shear bolts or an angle grinder to grind the head down leaving the stub which comes out with a pair of pliers.

My fixed column also arrived today, with old steering wheel still attached! Some late spec stalks with it even though its apparently from an early valver...

Need to go to VW and get the rest of the bits, what do Ii need exactly with a complete Corrado fixed column?

I have probably asked something similar to this somewhere in the past so apologies if so.

Also was there a spare cowling going still :)

*Edit* Just seen the post from me asking similar a few pages back. Could someone please confirm the part numbers of what I need though?

So I did this mod today hurrah!

Couples of notes:

All 3 shear bolts come out using Irwin bolt grippers, so no drilling needed there!

New_307739990.280950.jpg

I bought a polo column 2nd hand, then all the parts listed on the first page, including both bearings. The bearing that fitted mine was the thinner one, but the wedge type ring that goes on before wass too big for it, and the polo column didnt seem to have one at all (that I could find).

I put it together without the wedge before the bearing, and now now I have a wobble that I can trace to the end of the shaft, so I guess it's all got to come out again to fit a wedge thing in.

Does anyone have a part number for the thinner wedge ( I have contact ring 811 419 548 A which is too large and just slides down the column!))

Overall impressions are really good, I'm sure it'll improve even more once I've got the contact ring fitted properly. The fixed cowling is so much sturdier than the adjustable one, everything feels so solid!

Ha, nice one chap!

Rob and I preferred the drilling approach. Mainly because I left my Irwins at home and we like drilling eachother so much, PMSL! Sorry, boozey night tonight :lol:

I assume you're talking about the bearing at the base of the tube with the grey plastic collar in it? We had a mix up too with the steering column and bearings that I'd bought. It meant that I had two of the same type of bearing which were too wide and wouldn't fit! So thinking on his feet, davidwort suggested we pull apart the second bearing to remove the grey collar, snipped it a bit and then fitted it into the existing collar meaning the main steering column was held snugly in place. Problem then was it would simply pop out with nothing to hold it in but we realised once you fitted the column in place, there is a spring which goes between the steering tube and the UJ on the steering rack which fits perfectly to push and keep that collar in place.

So it's a bodge for now and I will get the right bearing at some point. But am in no rush. Seems to be doing the job ok :)

All 3 shear bolts come out using Irwin bolt grippers, so no drilling needed there!

have to say, pretty impressed by that, I'm still picking swarf out of my carpet :lol:

Looking at this:

file.php?id=76543&mode=view

It doesn't look like I've forgotten any parts.

Am I right in thinking that there isn't actually a 'contact ring' or bearing race that you put on the end of the fixed column itself? The bearing just goes into the end of the tube and then it's tensioned by the spring on the other side?

Yeah - basically #2 is the bearing which you push into base of the the main black column tubing. This should then make the steering column itself (#1) sit centrally.. and then as you say, the spring (#4) keeps that bearing in place.

Yeah - basically #2 is the bearing which you push into base of the the main black column tubing. This should then make the steering column itself (#1) sit centrally.. and then as you say, the spring (#4) keeps that bearing in place.

Good good!

I think it must just be the spring doesn't have enough tension in it. I tried to tap the column onto the U/J originallyand it ended up shorting the column itself instead of pushing it into the U/J (the column is two pieces not one as I'd thought) so we then had to do a bit of fettling to re-lengthen the column again- I guess we just went a touch far so the spring isn't preloaded enough to keep everything central.

Should be an easy fix for Mr. Hammer later. :D

Trust me to make even the simplest of mods difficult!

Right, Im ordering today just bottom bearing and ignition switch required as I have an early Corrado complete fixed column? Can I just ask what are these Irwins you speak of? Just a pair of molegrips??

Ta