Sign in to follow this  
OSV

Colour Coded Side Mouldings.

I know people have done this before, just a couple of quick questions. I intend to keep them to prevent dentsetc but i'm considering colour coding.

Do you think they will look good on a Silver car?

Is it best to remove them for painting or do them insitu?

How much is it for a new full set of all six pieces?Does anyone other than main dealers stock them?

Thanks

Remove them from the car first. See what they look like on my car in Members Gallery "Kevhaywire's VR6 - update". Yes I think they will look good on a silver car, mine is quite a light shade and they suit it imo.

Dunno how much new ones are but there's no need unless yours are dented.

Rub down the mouldings with solvent or cellulose thinners, apply a couple of layers of plastic primer, then some high build filller primer, then your base coats, then some good quality laquer. Make sure the ambient temperature is at least 25 degrees before spraying if you're going to do it yourself indoors. Then you stick them back on the car with Halfords body trim repair tape, which is the perfect width and thickness for the job :lol:

Kevhaywire: The mouldings look good on your car as do the colour coded rear badges. Think i'll give it a go. Thanks :D

Yeah as Brian said, you need to get a hair drier on the mouldings to ease removal, but they do come off pretty easily.

You can buy ready coloured badges up to the point where Corrados had silver badges, so I had to spray mine myself!

You could even do the door handles too, which would bring it bang up-to-date!

Cheers

K

I've done the handles using the Passat rears. I was just thinking of the mouldings and perhaps the badges before I finish it all off with the suspension and wheels. 8)

I don't know why VW didn't do it at the factory.......they coded the bumpers and mirrors and left the mouldings and handles plain plastic?

Guess they just left something for us modders to do, eh? :lol:

K

Looking good OSV.....definitely do the side stripes mate. No question.

Be careful with the All red rear clusters.....do they shine through orange? Proper orange? The light out of mine was too red and I got pulled over.....you have been warned!!

K

My mate just created this 'virtual' image of roughly how the car should look! Not perfect but you get the idea, pity he missed the side mouldings :wink:

Car looks 8) mate. I luv those wheels Danilo has them on his car-really suit the Cs.You getting BBS or copies??

Cheers Fraser