Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Certain clutch problems....All done!

it's just an engine and transmission support beam, sits on inner wing tops and has two separate hooks one to support engine and the other to lower the g-box, (some beams only have one hook/lifter)

the e-bay ad has the price :) £50 + £9 delivery

glad to hear it's all sorted for you - you must be well chuffed :)

@ David Wort - those engine supports are invaluable when doing this sort of job on a rado - saves much f'ing about!

@ David Wort - those engine supports are invaluable when doing this sort of job on a rado - saves much f'ing about!

Not so much invaluable - VW say you have to use them with the front bumper off for anything engine / clutch / mount related.

that's interesting!

i guess that's a health and safety thing...

when i did my subframe i just supported the back of the engine on massive blocks of wood via the sump and was v careful when lowering/raising it.

they make things so much easier though and still leave you room to work around things without gearbox jacks etc getting in the way underneath

The good old release fork strikes again :roll: :D

Quite a common issue really. Especially on uprated clutches with double stiffness tangential springs, or original clutches past half worn and have become heavy. The fork can't handle the increased load and bends.

It's a bit of a naff design and is why VW upgraded to concentric release bearings on the 02M and newer boxes.

When people take their boxes off, I seriously recommend an uprated fork, such as this one - http://www.flipsidecustoms.com/OnlineStore.php

I had a new fork modified by Stealth's fabricator, but it's easily something you could make Dave :norty:

It's a bit of a naff design and is why VW upgraded to concentric release bearings on the 02M and newer boxes.

:

Because they are so much more reliable! :lol:

The original fork is a fairly serious piece of metal - obviously I can see why and how they can get bent etc with hydraulics being involved but it's normally a cylinder failure that leads to this from what I understand.

Well yeah, they fixed one problem and created another!

The fork bending is common enough for some companies to make an uprated one. In fact I wouldn't run an uprated clutch without one tbh.

The good old release fork strikes again :roll: :D

Quite a common issue really. Especially on uprated clutches with double stiffness tangential springs, or original clutches past half worn and have become heavy. The fork can't handle the increased load and bends.

When people take their boxes off, I seriously recommend an uprated fork, such as this one - http://www.flipsidecustoms.com/OnlineStore.php

I had a new fork modified by Stealth's fabricator, but it's easily something you could make Dave :norty:

Yeah I could have re-inforced it no problem but I didn't know it was such a big weakness, I doubt I'll have the car when it decides to let go again, anyway that box is staying put, not going through that again. I've still got my old one so I might see what I can come up with.