Sign in to follow this  
mimjed

the dreaded knocking noise - charger

started knocking tonight after work, im thinking bearing is kaput. but open to suggestions.

had a good poke round nothing seems loose. fairly convinced the noise is from the charger, seem to be able to feel it knocking too. alternater belt isnt as tight as it could be.

last serviced 2006 and hasnt covered many miles to be fair. always lube it up with ptfe too.

Check that the altenator is bolted on tight and all the bolts are there, a mates polo is making a similar noise and its because its missing a bolt, fingers cross thats what it is on yours.

started knocking tonight after work, im thinking bearing is kaput. but open to suggestions.

had a good poke round nothing seems loose. fairly convinced the noise is from the charger, seem to be able to feel it knocking too. alternater belt isnt as tight as it could be.

last serviced 2006 and hasnt covered many miles to be fair. always lube it up with ptfe too.

hmmm check timing belt on charger should be replaced every year IMO, only £8, but it does sound very rattly, you could take the belt off and start it (not for log though! 10 15secs) just to rule out anything else, check tensioners for play, move charger pulley by hand(you may feel play or uneven resistance).

Good luck

took fan belt off and charger feels smooth. thank fook.

water pump not feeling so good though, rough and not so easy to turn. any other ways to check the health of it?

cant see any missing bolts etc though.

cheers for replies.

took fan belt off and charger feels smooth. thank fook.

water pump not feeling so good though, rough and not so easy to turn. any other ways to check the health of it?

cant see any missing bolts etc though.

cheers for replies.

I'd just replace it tbh not a dear part either

Well its the charger, bearing gone as i thought. Just pulled it out but wouldnt mind a nosey before i send it off.

Any tips on cracking it open?

What size belt to run without charger then? I thought it was 1500 but the gimp at the shop assured me it was 1663 which turns out is the size to run with charger. Doh

charger sent off today. running suprisingly smooth without it to be honest.

only doing work and back in it as im not convinced its the healthiest option running without.

but for future reference to run a g60 without a charger a 6 rib 1275mm belt does the job fine. common belt so easy to get hold of.

ptfe tape and m8/m10 bolt plus washers/nuts for blanking off oil feed pipes too. or if youre feeling clever you could drill and tap an aluminium block to match the banjo bolts and keep the flow going - not really needed though.

Gwerks, have to pay the name tax but at least i can be pretty confident with the work carried out.

41mpg on the way to work this morning!

:lol: think the japs solved the basic principal with the vtech system.

its crap without a charger though, i estimate it to be about 75 ponies :(