Sign in to follow this  
tandino

Nurburgring

Wet line is totally different you know. The track is like ice if you stay on the dry line in the wet.

I've only got 6 dry laps and one damp lap under my belt, around 70 passenger laps I'd say, mostly with experienced people thankfully.

Hopefully gonna get a few laps in the mk3 golf, gutted not to be taking the rado over, it's what I built it for in the first place!!

Wet line is different in places as you know, however on alot of the braking points before the corner you are on the dry line or crossing the dry line under braking, this is where my mate lost it in the Elise.

Even the Marshal who took him round to check for armco damage said it was very slippery...

Main thing is he drove it home and his ego suffered a bigger bash than his wallet, my mate in the 200SX was not so lucky, burst pipe at home whislt he was out there, ancilary belt snapped and his custom front brake discs cracked so badly from outer radius of the disc right into the mounting bell, you could fit a pound coin into the crack thickness wise, had to be recovered by ADAC back to the UK.

Dukest, nothing crazy, Weitec GT Coilies, new VAG balljoints and trackrods, 1.5' negative camber up front, BBS RC 7.5 x 17 with Hankook V12 Evo's in 205/40/17 size, arches are rolled to the max though.

Think im going to go powerflex on the rear beam as i want the rear end to be just on the oversteer side of neutral, it just felt too planted and i couldnt get it to play, to me lift off oversteer feels natural after having Mk1 golfs and 205gti's..

Cost me about 600 quid all in i guess but i bought my rind card from Ebay prior to going so saved a few quid there.

Breakdown of costs:-

Hotel for 4 nights (inc beers at hotel bar) £170

Spending money £200

Ring laps £150-200 - if you do 10-15 laps

Petrol £200

Ferry £60

So if you do it on your own it can be expensive, my advice is to share your car with someone you trust and it brings the cost down massively

Lets wait till around christmas time and start formulating a forum or something... reckon it'd be pretty awesome :) Already know about 10 folks who'd be well up for it!

Pete,

Great report! Haven’t had a chance to check out all the pics yet as I’m still at work, but the C looks nice!

See you Sunday.

Cheers!

Looking forward to the vids and more pics too. 8)

I'd be up for another trip, I only did one lap last time, but as it was the 20th anniversary meet I spent most of my time looking at about 500 Corrados so that was cool by me. Just a shame my ibs was playing silly buggers with all that foreign food. :( Can't wait till the 25th meet in a few years (2013?)

My ABS doesn't work and I locked up once but only for a split second as I crested a dip before a corner. I also almost went off in Adenauer forest too where you see everyone having trouble on YouTube.

Waiting for the track to open....

DSC00220.jpg

Looks like you had a great time. I went out to the 24hr there in the Corrado in May and it was miserably cold and damp....looked really slick and greasy. Can't beat a fair weather trip there, it is the best.

From going a few times over the last few years I have managed to do it for the following costs:

Ferry: Dover - Dunkerque £26 return with Norfolkline (booked months in advance)

1x tank of fuel from Kent to the 'ring £65

Accomodation: Approximately 430 Euros Board/Breakfast/evening meal inc booze at Guesthaus Lindenhof (based on two people sharing a twin room for four nights).

1x tank of fuel burning about £65

'Ring Card: At going rates for however many laps.

1x tank of fuel 'ring to Kent £65

Think that is about it???

Don't need a lot of spending money there, plenty to look at for free on track or cheap: new GP track stuff, Castle 2 Euros etc etc....

Want to go out there to drive it this year but can't see it happening somehow.... :(

Im off over in the morning with Destination Nurburgring, will post some pics on my return all being well!

:salute:

Have fun! I dont fancy ever doing a wet lap again.my mates been early in the year and had to turn back and do the track bacwards as it was snowing and they couldn't get up ex muhle!! Mad. Saying that. It's incomfortably hot and far too busy if you go in may. Might have to try a trackday instead of Touristenfahrten days. Been out on a test day which included the GP track, got some amazing photos of the VLN and GT cars on track, taken in car.

Quick video here,

Handheld Iphone 4GS, most of our footage was with a screen mount on the Iphone or a Go Pro with a screen mount!, not this one as it was a bit of a last minute jump in the car lap.

Anyone who knows the circuit, im really holding back until well through Hatzenbach as it was f**king slippery especially on RS2's!!!!

Works out to about a 9.12 or thereabouts...

And yes that was reving to about 9k at times!!

And watch the Cayman S at A Forst!!

http://www.vimeo.com/14401491

I have to admit the Ring scared the shit out of me. It is not so bad when you have a few laps under your belt and by a few I mean at least half a dozen. But when you are starting off its fookin terrifying :lol: Even in a 360 bhp Evo I was getting blasted and flashed into oblivion by 911 RS's, big sports bikes, the ring taxis and full on le man cars. Left me a giberring if slightly excited wreck :grin:

I was only there for the weekend and the track was closed about 12 times due to serious crashes and there were two fatalities!

A couple of guys in a 306 Gti we had been talking to wrote off their car, about 50m of armco and a brand new 996 GT3 RS they had no insurance and the bill was reckoned to be around £150k....

Finally had a big moment in my mates very well set up 450bhp Evo 8 trying to break 8 minutes, he managed to do a 8.11 but we had some properly scary 125mph sideways action on the way to it! I will just sit on the sofa i think and check out all of your videos from now on LOL (nice vid by the way tandino)

My advice would be learn the track a bit by going out with other people first. Plenty of people are up for doing passenger rides. Take a helmet. Watch out for damp patches in the dips and under the trees. Take out insurance even if it is £300. Make sure your car is in top condition and finally have fun and soak up the atmosphere. Really is nothing like it on the planet 8)

A couple of guys in a 306 Gti we had been talking to wrote off their car, about 50m of armco and a brand new 996 GT3 RS they had no insurance and the bill was reckoned to be around £150k....

:gag: time to get over the border to mexico?! :grin:

:gag: time to get over the border to mexico?! :grin:

LOL Suprise suprise that is exactly what they did :grin: Essex isnt quite Mexico but you get the picture :grin: Not sure what the ramifications are and whether they can pursue you for the damages in the UK :confused4:

We've got 4 1/2 hrs of footage to sort through so a more polished vid will be up soon.

I was speaking to a guy over dinner who compete's in the VLN, he's got a GT2 (ex press car), it had been sat for a while on grass before he bought it, damp grass and aluminium suspension wishbones dont go, wishbone failed through Wipermann and he took out 36m of armco!!, he's still waiting for the bill :lol: :lol:

I love the place, we try to go twice a year but obviously thats fund dependant, im still learning the place after all those laps, i dont think you will ever feel that youve done the perfect lap until you have done hundreds and hundreds of laps....

Thats the challenge though..

OMG! :shock:

Just think what the bill might be if someone was hurt.

A salutory example for those who risk it without Ring cover. [No names no pack-drill!]

We should do a forum trip. Its more my thing than shows TBH.

Loved it when we went a couple of years ago on the forum trip for the 20th Birthday celebration, would definitely be up for going again as would quite a few judging by this thread.

Loving the pics and videos mate, can't wait to see some more.

We should do a forum trip. Its more my thing than shows TBH.

Loved it when we went a couple of years ago on the forum trip for the 20th Birthday celebration, would definitely be up for going again as would quite a few judging by this thread.

Loving the pics and videos mate, can't wait to see some more.

Mmh!

24v VRT with some decent stoppers should get down to 8 mins???

When's the dryest reasonably warm month at Nurburg?

You dont actually need big brakes on the Ring!!, only time you need 'em is when you dont know the circuit!!!

[24v VRT with some decent stoppers should get down to 8 mins???

?

Very doubtful I would think with half decent driver high 8's possibly

[24v VRT with some decent stoppers should get down to 8 mins???

?

Very doubtful I would think with half decent driver high 8's possibly

Have to agree. Thanks for the vote of confidence Phil but I'm nowhere near good enough to muster a 8 min run, even with 24vT power and big brakes.

Most people who can get those times have done hundreds of laps in all conditions, where I've done 4 in real life and played a bit of xbox.

There is a video of one of my laps somewhere, think I got a 11 min 15sec in damp/light rain in a standard VR.

Will nevertheless be interesting to see the difference!

Is there a table of notable lap times somewhere on the web - anyone?

I heard once that Niki Lauda held the title - is that still valid or old hat?

onyl prob with lap times is you are almost guaranteed to be slowed up at some point during the track due to crashes. im still one of the believers in it is more about the rush of the drive than the time you finish it in.

Also you can drive the F1 track aswell!!! That has got to be good fun!!!

The GP track is pretty boring in a road car, you can tell it's been designed for much faster stuff.

And power doesn't give you've quick lap, experience does. I know guys who can do a mid 8 in a golf 16v, but they live there. I bet you can't do a sub ten in any car unless you've done at least 50 laps with someone who knows their way around.