Sign in to follow this  
ross.taylor

Problems starting.

My 1990 1.8 16V doesn't like starting. Only had it since late march so it could be the increasing wet and cold combined with street parking.

Starter turns fine, occasionally starts immediately. When it does eventually start, it does so the moment I turn the key. Very occasionally as the starter is turning, the engine goes clunk and everything stops unitll I release the key and try again! Turning the alarm (Cat 1 Sigma) on and off again sometimes helps. Also very occasionally I can turn the key fully and nothing happens at all.

Wierd hey.

I've recently replaced the coil lead with a cool orange one from halfords (£2.50ish), as I was advised that this might help - it didn't.

Still think it is electrical tho.

Ideas?

Just in case anyone is reading this. The other morning I went to start the car and it wouldn't start at all. Juat as before the starter turned fine but now there was no hint of firing at all. I tried many times untill the battery seemed to be getting tired at which point I gave up and arranged for the RAC to come out that pm. The bloke played arround and had me try and start it sevaral times. Untill he declared that it was the distributor, and as it was Sat pm I was stuffed till Mon. Apparently it was "cracking" upon intial key turn and when stopping but nothing else. It seems odd to me that the distributor could have failed suddenly when before it was running totally fine once started.

Any thoughts?

When I got my 16v back home less than a week after buying it I was geting similar starting probs. I dropped the oil, cleaned K&N, added some Redex to my petrol and changed the plugs. This seemed to reduce the problem but it was still there, so I put the car on a dyno at a mates garage and he tuned it up a little and now it starts almost perfectly from cold. There is just sometimes a bit of low rev sputtering, but that last no longer than a minute. This sort of problem can be one of so many things, the best advise I had recieved was to fix all the cheap things first, giving it as much TLC as it deserves and with a bit of luck......

Turning the alarm (Cat 1 Sigma) on and off again sometimes helps

Have you had your alarm checked? My car wouldn't start at all. Turned out it was the immobiliser

My 1990 1.8 16V doesn't like starting. Only had it since late march so it could be the increasing wet and cold combined with street parking.

Starter turns fine, occasionally starts immediately. When it does eventually start, it does so the moment I turn the key. Very occasionally as the starter is turning, the engine goes clunk and everything stops unitll I release the key and try again! Turning the alarm (Cat 1 Sigma) on and off again sometimes helps. Also very occasionally I can turn the key fully and nothing happens at all.

Wierd hey.

I've recently replaced the coil lead with a cool orange one from halfords (£2.50ish), as I was advised that this might help - it didn't.

Still think it is electrical tho.

Ideas?

Make sure you check your Earh lead first.. before you start replacing anything.

Well went to breakers got new dizzy for £40 (exchange) not to bad thinks I, got it home - fitted. NO DIFFERENT!! Thanks RAC. BUT, my freindy local mech said "sounds more like ignition switch". RAC out again - "looks like its your ignition switch"!!!! Well to his credit he got it going so now its at the garage having someone reliable look at it.

Hi

I'm having a very similar problem with my 1995, 2.0L 16V Corrado. About once a week, it won't start! i struggle with until suddenly it will just spring into life like there was no problem whatsoever.

I changed the distributor cap, rotor arm and spark plugs but the problem is still there. I have the factory fitted immobilser on the car and think that might be the problem....

Abbie xx

Does anyone know if there's something I can check to determine if this is the problem? I wouldn't want to go doing something this drastic to discover that wasn't the problem.

If it was the ignition switch, should the ignition light not come on when the engine is turning over?

Abbie xx

16V A11 ABY

What happenes to it exactly, when it is not starting?

Does the engine turn over but just not start, or does it behave totally as if it is dead?

I am not sure on a solution to your problem, but just trying to get as much detail out in the open in the hope that someone might :)

Ive had the exact same problem in the past, the car would just suddenly start cutting out and would have trouble starting. After a couple of weeks it dissapeered and ran almost perfect for about 10 months until the problem surfaced again. Turned out to be the hall sender in the distributor. This is apparently common problem on mk2 golfs so this should be one of the first things I would suggest you check. I think the sender can be replaced on 1.8's but on the 2.0 its a case of new distributor. Ross, if u still have problems then its possible the dizzy u got, being second hand, is also faulty as it is a common problem.

I also have a similar problem, but mine seems like cold weather or something as it starts fine when the engine is warm but not when cold in the morning etc. i had it tuned changed the plugs dist cap and rotor arm but still no joy.

mine turns over but will only eventually start with a little pushing on the accelerator pedal. ANYONE HELLPPP... 1.8 16V

Mine doesn't seem to have any particular times when it will and won't start! It seems very irregular - I haven't had any problems in the past couple of weeks. When it won't start, the engine just turns over and there doesn't seem to be any spark to get it started whatsoever; therefore it won't start by using the accelerator pedal.

I've changed the distributor cap (which seems to be superglued on - had to use a chisel to get it off!!!), rotor arm and spark plugs but still having trouble. This is making me wonder if it's something more serious - I've had suggestions of the ignition switch but don't really know how to confirm that this is the problem.

The fact that it will suddenly start with no problem makes me wonder if it's a problem with the immobiliser but again, do not know how to check that this is the problem...

I'm running out of ideas fast. Usually it won't start for about 30 mins and then will suddenly spring back into life..

Abbie xx