Sign in to follow this  
CaiosG60 PWR

Can you tighten up an engine mount?

Pritty sure my front engine mount is on the way out. There is quite a bit of engine movment. Its the same as a corrado g60 engine mount.

Can I just tighten the bolt on the top of it to get some more miles from it?

What other problems does a loose engine mount cause? The exhaust seams to be knocking at the rear of the car and 1st and 2nd gear are becoming harder to get into.

no you cant tighten the nut...it can and will damage ...exhaust,cables,wiring,and in sevre cases the engine will hit the rad...the gears are bad beacuse the gearbox is moving around

a vibra tecnics is under £150 and easy to fit

So its important to fix it sharpish then? :roll: :( (I'll just get a standard replacement from GSF for now, £32 cheers)

So to fit it-

I get the car on some axle stands on a low setting.

Then support the engine using a trolley jack.

Do I need to remove my radiator and intercooler to get at it?

Then remove the old one a replace with the new one! :lol: (any bolts that are awkward or usually seized?)

leave the rad...loosen the bolts and gently raise the engine on the jack, i think i took my oil filter off to improove access.....mine killed a gsf one in no time,hence the vibratecnics one...though if money is tight its better than nothing (id prob still stretch to a vag one)

Cheers, I’m skint that’s why I'm not going for a vibra tech. GSF have a choice of two. I assumed the more expensive one was VAG anyway?

Can somebody check this part number for me 357 199 279 b (I’m new to EKTA :lol: ) should be the right engine mount for me.

In addition, I have a small coolant leak where the metal pipe joins a rubber one on the way to the heater matrix, or way back. The part number for the clip is n 016 404 1. Will the replacement be a jubilee clip? The rubber pump doesn’t seam to be listed in EKTA it just says see illustration 146, which is of a Rallye rear floor plan!!

Cai, VWVortex folk recommended this one some time back. 191 199 279E Search that in ETKA I think there is a new number for it. It could end in F. GSF hold the newer one I am sure.

I have one similar that came from Dubsport. Jeff pulls them apart and does some stuff then welds them back up. Mine has been in since I brought the car back from Germany, 3 years back. Take the filter off for access.

It is a DIY job but it was pretty awkward.

Gavin