Sign in to follow this  
Dan_Storm

Replaced heater matrix and now running rough

Ok, I'm after some big help here.....

I have just finished replacing the heater matrix, I've got most of the dash and switches back in place so thought I would try starting up to make sure there were no leaks and all was running well....it isn't :(

It starts fine, then the revs drop to the point where it sometimes cuts out. I re-checked all the connections and retraced my steps but couldn't find anything obvious. I checked everything under the bonnet, re-seated the MAF connector and a few other plugs, checked the HT leads were secure, checked relays were secure etc.

Still no joy....I let the car warm up for a few mins, but it didn't seem to make much difference. The car seems to run ok when revving or holding revs - i.e. it is not miss firing but doesn't sound 100%.

I noticed it may be running a bit lean. I put a fault scanner on and it came back with "Idle Stabilisation adaptation limit exceeded".

So, have I forgot anything obvious? I labelled all connectors meticulously when disconnecting and I'm sure I got it all connected back as it was. All dash switches are working as normal. Could it be I have disturbed something when moving the looms? I re-soldered a few connections when I had the dash out and I added a fuse for the headlight dimmer (as per the how-to). I was fiddling around near the ECU to undo the nut on the other side of the dash, I checked and all seems normal.

Anyone have any ideas? :help:

Thanks Supercharged, I'll give the vac hoses a good check over. I initially assumed it was something I had dislodged, but I'm now starting to think it may be a coincidence that something else has decided to play up.

I'm going to collect my spare MAF and ISV from my folks to try eliminating those too.

I'm going to collect my spare MAF and ISV from my folks to try eliminating those too.

Definately the way forward.

Did you disconnect the ECU ? Or the battery? If so, settings will have been lost and will need to be re-learnt.

Roger, I did disconnect the battery. When I've disconnected the battery in the past it has always run fine after re-starting. I thought the re-learning thing was just to optimize the adaption values and would assume the car would run ok without? Maybe worth a try though. Cheers.

Well I tried my replacement MFA and ISV, and still the engine stalled and didn't idle well. I checked all vac pipes but didn't find any leaks. I gave most connectors a quick clean and tightened vac hoses. I went for a drive and it was perfect, got back and gave it a rev on the drive and it cut out. The old MAF and ISV are suspect - I replaced them years ago when I had problems...but I was hoping it would help diagnose.

So I swapped back to the original ISV and MAF, started and it cut out straight away. I started again and it idled fine for about 5 mins. I ran out of time so I will do a bit more testing tomorrow.

Anyone know if any vac pipes run inside the cabin? Just wondering if I may have knocked one while removing the dash.

Cheers

I think its fixed :D

I gave the ISV and the connected hoses a clean out, cleaned a few earthing points and all seems to be back to normal. I guess it was nothing to do with the matrix change after all and was just a co-incidence - in the way only a Corrado can do :)

Mine ran up ok too though now just stinks of antifreeze burning where it soaked everything. Nothing else went wrong other than some grazed knuckles. Should I have put a fuse in behind the headlight switch then?

Glad you got it sorted too.

Sixpotter,

I installed the fuse for the headlight switch light as per CrazyDaves post here. It doesn't need the dash out, but I did it while the dash was out as the wires where a bit more accessible.

Unfortunately I am blowing fuse number 3 when I have the headlights on and then open a door :confused4: I haven't had a chance to try troubleshooting. Has anyone else seen the same problem? Seems that fuse3 controls the dash, interior lights & number plate light.

Other than that the engine is running great. I did 400 odd miles over the bank holiday weekend and it didn't miss a beat. The water and oil temps seem to be lower too :)