Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

What might cause fuel smell after cold start (VR6)

I'v had trouble with the car being a bit hard to start - have had to crank for some time before it fired - after that it tended to smell a bit fuel for a few minutes.

The slow starting seem to have gotten better now that I replaced the FPR - but still seem to be a bit fuel smell after starting the car - when it's cold (have been sitting for some time). Any idea what might cause this?..

(not 100% sure the hard starting is totaly solved as I'v only replaced it yesterday and only had a few startups after that - but it's looking positive) :)

The fuel filter have also been replaced.

I would suggest checking the fuel filter, it might not be 100% sealed.

So it could be leaking hence the smell of fuel and hard starting as fuel isn't reaching the injectors.

I would suggest checking the fuel filter, it might not be 100% sealed.

So it could be leaking hence the smell of fuel and hard starting as fuel isn't reaching the injectors.

naa - the filter is fine - had the trouble with fuel smell prior to changing the filter as well........the hard starting *seem* to be alright now after the FPR where replaced.....

Area around the pressure regulator on the fuel rail at the front of the engine

There's a fuel pipe join on RHD's just by the rear engine mount inside the chassis stiffner which travels down. Haven't looked at the LHD but it will be th esame where the underbody plastic pipes join the hoses into the engine bay.

Fuel hoses on the tensioner side of the cam cover.

Area around the pressure regulator on the fuel rail at the front of the engine

There's a fuel pipe join on RHD's just by the rear engine mount inside the chassis stiffner which travels down. Haven't looked at the LHD but it will be th esame where the underbody plastic pipes join the hoses into the engine bay.

Fuel hoses on the tensioner side of the cam cover.

yea those connections should be alright - haven't noticed anything in that area - and it's only just after I startup the smell goes away after a few minutes it seem.........any way it could "flood" the engine with to much gas? - eventually things that can cause this - besides the FPR ?

Just thought I'd post a reply on this one.

I had been looking at the fuel lines earlier (they where all new), but eventually got someone to look at it at the moment I started it - then they noticed fuel pouring out - only was a matter of getting some smaller fuel clamps (the other ones where holding when we tightened them again, but to be sure I stepped down one size).

I already had done these steps earlier, but I'm starting to think the screw might have backed out again and/or caused by temperature changes??.....

Just thought I'd post an answer to this Q anyway ;)