Sign in to follow this  
emu

Corrado VR6T vs Nissan Skyline R34 GTT ot GTR

As much as I like Corrado I like Nissan Skyline R34 look. Always wanted R34 but never had enough money to buy one. Always wanted Corrado VR6T and dream comes true very slowly. To build my dream VR6T I need minimum 15k pounds so that's the price of GTT and almost enough on GTR. Already spent well over 10k on parts to do my VR6T and started thinking about selling everything and getting myself a GTT and then GTR after 2 another years.

What would you do if you were me ??

VR6T - it will take me about 2 years to build (could take much less time if somebody will do this for me but it will cost a lot of money so almost everything will be done by myself)

GTR - GTT on beginning and GTR after 2 years

If you owned or you know somebody who own R34 all suggestions will be very helpful.

Personally I don't understand spending shed load of money on an already good car to try and make it something it isn't.... If I was you it would be R34 all day everyday. Hey you could even have a 2k VR as a daily.

Matt

How have you managed to spend £10k on just parts? You might as well sell up and buy the car you've always wanted.

The only way the Corrado will win out against those two cars is simply in repair costs. A GTR is astronomically expensive to fix / maintain... I can't imagine how expensive one will be when they go out of warranty.

A Skyline R34 is an awesome car too but again given their rarity here (I heard they only ever sold in the region of 150 in the UK, ever) they'll be similarly expensive!

GTR. No contest. I've been looking at them recently on Pistonheads as I've wanted one for a long time now. Unfortunately they're still as expensive as they were 5 years ago when I last looked and are still out of my price range. Its also worth bearing in mind that as Jim said, not many were sold over here so most are grey imports from Japan and cost more to insure.

most are grey imports from Japan and cost more to insure.

It's not true, just had more than 10 quotes from gocompare and if you tick import or local there was no different to the price or different was very unnoticeable.

I turbo'd my vr6 for 3 grand and it took 2 months and its running 570bhp the equvelent r34 gtr would cost 25 grand

How you did it. for 3k you can buy turbo, mani + downpipe + exhaust + injectors, what about rest of stuff ??

most are grey imports from Japan and cost more to insure.

It's not true, just had more than 10 quotes from gocompare and if you tick import or local there was no different to the price or different was very unnoticeable.

Ah well apologies then, but it certainly used to be the case.

The only way the Corrado will win out against those two cars is simply in repair costs. A GTR is astronomically expensive to fix / maintain... I can't imagine how expensive one will be when they go out of warranty.

A Skyline R34 is an awesome car too but again given their rarity here (I heard they only ever sold in the region of 150 in the UK, ever) they'll be similarly expensive!

You are right but prices of parts are similar when you are driving skyline or VRT, only costs of labour will be much different but in both ways all repairs and tuning will be done by myself. I just like challenge :)

How have you managed to spend £10k on just parts? You might as well sell up and buy the car you've always wanted.

engine - 2,5k

head - 600

sp mani - 800

sp chargecooler - 800

and basically suspension, brakes, wheels, 4x4 parts and lots of bits and bobs together costs me over 10K so far

For £15,000 you should stop looking at elderly projects and buy something like a RS4 or RS6. Seriously, both of them are a whole step up in build quality from either a Corrado or a Skyline.

If you want fast, then buy an Evo which will be a lot faster than a Skyline on any roads except motorways.

If you just want a fast Corrado then put a tuned R32 in it instead of a turbo. 300bhp+ on a nice young low mileage engine. £3k for the car, £2½k for the conversion, £2k for sort the handling & brakes out = £7½k all in. Mind you for that you can buy an actual R32 these days...

Or why not get Vince at Stealth to do it all for you?

It's not how I want VRT to be look like. I'm not saying that Vince in not doing very good VRT, it's just not my way to turbo vr6.

For £15,000 you should stop looking at elderly projects and buy something like a RS4 or RS6.

Trust me if RS6 would be with manual gearbox I would go for it long time ago.

RS4 - perfect car, but there is to many of them on the road, I need coupe anyway.

Already have allroad 2.7T as a daily so don't really need another big car.

Build the VRT if it's what you want. You've got some top kit there. No one in this thread, apart from 1 or 2 people, has any idea about VRTs , so don't be put off by people saying it's a waste of money, because it isn't. Anyone can buy a Skyline or evo, but few people can build a decent VRT.

I agree with what Kev said but at the same time a Skyline is a Skyline imo. Not even worth comparing. Sorry

Id personally be buying an R32/33 if i could afford to run one etc.

Build the VRT if it's what you want. You've got some top kit there. No one in this thread, apart from 1 or 2 people, has any idea about VRTs , so don't be put off by people saying it's a waste of money, because it isn't. Anyone can buy a Skyline or evo, but few people can build a decent VRT.

Was waiting for your answer and was expecting similar answer from you.

Still didn't make any decision, just want both very badly but GTR is something what I always wanted.

I'm not saying a VRT is better than a Skyline by the way, I've never driven one, so wouldn't know. It's certainly different!

VRTs are massive fun, ALWAYS puts a smile on my face :D

Skylines aren't going anywhere and as you've come this far with the VRT stuff..... but you go with what your heart wants.

For that what I already spent could get something like that

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

For me, good value for money

Sorry but thats horrid. If its a quick motor you want for cheap money then I agree you cant beat the Jap stuff. Never been a fan myself, do quite like Evo's but again as you will have seen theres so many about these parts. Im not blinkered to say that the Corrado VRT is better than any of them but for me one of the best things is that people just dont expect it to be as quick as they are plus you can easily go week or two without seeing another. Try doing that in Aberdeen in anything else nice, its near on impossible unless you have a Zonda / Enzo.

I think my next car will be a fast as standard car that needs little "tuning" to it. Something like Pete Griff's or a TVR or along those lines.