Sign in to follow this  
robtalbott

rubbing noise when clutch depressed

whenever i recently depress(push down) the clutch i hear a rubbing noise

ive had a few people suggest it could be different things - any ideas? the nosie only is audible (and feels a bit rough on the pedal) when i press the clutch down - never in neutral or in gear

thanks,

rob

He hasn't said if the engine is running or not :D

He could be talking about the creaking noise you get from clutch pressure plate springs.

mine has started creaking a little from when i had the chains done and the clutch pulled out and checked :(

Mine creaks too, have a little bit of dead travel in the clutch until warmed up too.

He hasn't said if the engine is running or not :D

He could be talking about the creaking noise you get from clutch pressure plate springs.

this would also be my suggestion :norty:

my clutch made a creaky groan noise as i pushed it down, it went away when i got clutch replaced and felt like new, but 10,000miles later the clutch is feeling a bit stiffer and harder to push down

It's because when a clutch is new, the pressure plate springs don't have to move very far to release the friction disc from the flywheel and pressure plate. But when it's worn beyond a certain point, the springs have to move further in to do the same job, so the pedal starts getting heavier and you get creaking noises.

It's nothing to worry about. Just a minor irritation :D It's just a quirk with this particular gearbox and clutch type.

This is why I liked the Centreforce dual-friction uprated clutches. They used to have a patented spring mechanism which pivoted the spring fingers on bearings, so the pedal was much lighter than normal and they were silent, wore evenly, didn't judder etc etc.

They don't do em anymore :(

its only when engine is running, so im assuming it would more likely be the gearbox release bearing then :)

any ideas on what the cheepast way to sort it is? are we looking at changin the box?

Its the clutch release bearing thats gone, this gets replaced with the clutch, so you need a clutch kit and do the clutch at the same time. Normally the bearing going is a sign that the clutch wont be far behind........... :)

If it is the release bearing (I'd get a proper diagnosis from a garage, not a virtual forum diagnosis :) ) then AVS do new ones for about 15 quid, box off job but you don't even need to remove the clutch as it's just seated inside the clutch release arm in the bell-housing.

They don't always get replaced with clutches, but do generally come with complete clutch kits these days.

If a garage does the work for you and you are paying all that labour then you might as well have a new clutch while the box is off, but if you do it youself then you can inspect the clutch and only replace if necessary.

Fair and good comments, its still a lot of labour not to change the clutch imo if you do it yourself or not, that is of course that it is the clutch release bearing as pointed out above ^^