Sign in to follow this  
jma

Engine ticking sound

Hi

I have a 1994 VR and there is a ticking sound from the top of the engine (left hand side next to the air box). I believe it may be the tappets or lifters is this something I should be worried about or is its common on a engine which is 16 years old, I dont want the engine blowing up, will be blow up? :cuckoo: . Sorry but I get paranoid when it comes to engines, last thing I want the engine dying on me. Your help is appeciated.

noisy/sticking tappets won't cause any damage, sometimes one or two can make a really loud noise for the first few seconds on startup as they pump up, they're generally worse with lighter oil but there's not really much you can do to revive them once they have got gummed up from years of use (and probably not frequent enough oil changes) and you can't tell which ones are the trouble-makers once you have the engine apart so it's really a case of replacing all of them if the noise is getting too much for you.

If it's any consolation, mine does the same. It goes away once it's warmed up. Have you checked your oil?

I have checked the oil and its at the right level, I had a oil change and I used the 10 40 oil. The noise isnt loud it just that I get paranoid with the ticking sound. As long there is no damage to the engine I guess i have to live with it and sort it out in the near future. :)

Tappets or lifters are a good bet, one will be sticking a bit. I had the noise from the same place.

Also listen closely to your injectors, as they tick quite a bit too! Maybe mine are wonky, but i can hear them rhythmically ticking away.

How loud is the ticking you guys have? Head-turning?

I'm pretty sure mine is buckets/lifters too but it seems quite loud. Presumably after a while damage will occur? I have been recommended some 'hydraulic element' stuff to fix it, anyone got an opinion or some advice?