Sign in to follow this  
krnau

has anyone done this before?

I found a z4 gt3 video in which you can see that rad fan has a duct that forces the hot air out of the engine bay. can this be done to a valver corrado or there's just not enough room?

obviously I'm not planing to mod the bonnet, but could the duct just go anywhere else

see minute

2:38

Interesting idea, without cutting holes in the bonnet it might be difficult, but there might be room under a late valvers bonnet? I don't know, it would have to be smaller than whats on the video.

An interesting idea that would be hard to execute would be to force the air out down overs feeding the floor with some sort of diffuser at the rear of the car. That would be nice. but to do it properly would be expensive, unless someone has a spare wind tunnel lying around!

Interesting idea, without cutting holes in the bonnet it might be difficult, but there might be room under a late valvers bonnet? I don't know, it would have to be smaller than whats on the video.

An interesting idea that would be hard to execute would be to force the air out down overs feeding the floor with some sort of diffuser at the rear of the car. That would be nice. but to do it properly would be expensive, unless someone has a spare wind tunnel lying around!

yes that would be a good idea :)

probly done to cut down on drag being as the engine bay is a huge bucket bolted to the front of the car

Spot on 8)

Not only a giant scoop, but the air then has to negotiate the many pipes, wires, boxes and odd protrusions that fill the engine bay before finding it's way out! I remember from doing work experience at Marcos some years ago they did this, the radiator was essentially in a seperate compartment to the engine. (IIRC the spare wheel was in between the two!) They always stressed that air going in needed a way out

It does seem a fairly obvious thing to do, I guess it's not all that important on everyday cars but you'd think it would help with fuel consumption at higher speeds at least. Could maybe do an assymetric one on a Corrado, off to one side of the engine, seems to be some space there maybe... :shrug:

Agreed, passenger cars would definitely benefit from it to, but it's a cost car makers would have to pass onto the customer and as you say, the rest of the engine bay needs to be well sealed off from the frontal scoops for it to work effectively...and no doubt a flat under-tray too. Each car in the model range would need a different setup too, so it's way too expensive to mass produce.

Engine compartment flow dynamics seems like a trivial idea on the surface, but there is one well known example where it can be critical!!!

Anyone familiar with the Subaru Impreza 120+ mph meltdown myth, whereby the air flow over the bonnet goes over the top of the intercooler scoop, instead of through it? What actually happened was the air pressure coming into the engine compartment through the radiator openings was equal to the pressure coming through the scoop, so the air flow stalled. Which = no intercooling, which = engine meltdown :D

I know Andy Waters (AWTracksport) jacked up the rear of the bonnet on him Mk2 Golf Track car to aid the airflow through the engine bay.

Not sure how good it would look but if it's function over form you want then it could be a cheap option.

Agreed, passenger cars would definitely benefit from it to, but it's a cost car makers would have to pass onto the customer and as you say, the rest of the engine bay needs to be well sealed off from the frontal scoops for it to work effectively...and no doubt a flat under-tray too. Each car in the model range would need a different setup too, so it's way too expensive to mass produce.

Engine compartment flow dynamics seems like a trivial idea on the surface, but there is one well known example where it can be critical!!!

Anyone familiar with the Subaru Impreza 120+ mph meltdown myth, whereby the air flow over the bonnet goes over the top of the intercooler scoop, instead of through it? What actually happened was the air pressure coming into the engine compartment through the radiator openings was equal to the pressure coming through the scoop, so the air flow stalled. Which = no intercooling, which = engine meltdown :D

Aero talk :clap: :clap: :clap: keep it coming :D