Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

gearbox selector fork shift segments

gearbox selector fork shift segments, anyone know if these are worth replacing without a full rebuild,

sel-fork.jpg[/attachment:1izw60tm]

I remember seeing some worn/broken ones on Toads old VR box and was thinking perhaps they would be a good part to replace, that and checking the dimensions on the selector forks are correct, i.e. not bent.

It looks like you can split the box casing to gain access to 1st to 4th gear and their selector forks but you need to remove 5th gear with a puller, anyone done this before?, any tips?

Might get myself a second hand box to practice on :)

Yeah those bushes tended to be upgraded by Gemini aswell back in the day. The plastic ones are OK in a standard box though, but probably worth sticking the uprated ones in if it comes apart, although they're no longer available, so will have to be custom made.

I don't know anything about 15, sorry :D

Yeah that's fine if you've got a 12 tonne press, a pillar drill, a comprehensive tool set and an oven the missus won't mind you cooking engine parts in!

I'm now of the opinion that any effort and expense involved in rebuilding 02As would be better spent on an O2M conversion, which on a 4 cyl car is even easier!!

It's a vastly superior gearbox and you get an extra cog thrown in for good measure :D

Yan has also stripped his down. Kev, where's your sense of adventure? :tongue:

I must admit, I'm a little bit frightened by fishing around in gearboxes, too many things to check and adjust, and get wrong.

I would inspect and replace these selector nubbins as necessary, I got the impression mine were knackered from operator error/abuse.

Yan has also stripped his down. Kev, where's your sense of adventure? :tongue:

I must admit, I'm a little bit frightened by fishing around in gearboxes, too many things to check and adjust, and get wrong.

I would inspect and replace these selector nubbins as necessary, I got the impression mine were knackered from operator error/abuse.

Only the 5th cog and frankly that's not very daunting at all when you consider it's pretty much on it's own.

mmm, 6 speed does sound good, mother in law even has 6 cogs in her 1.6 golf FFS!

so is it just the driveshaft flanges that need changing to 100mm ones then? (for a 4cyl car)

I'm tempted to put a tall 5th cog (diesel?) in the 8v 02A box, seeing as it will just be doing cruises down the M1 to work anyway.

mmm, 6 speed does sound good, mother in law even has 6 cogs in her 1.6 golf FFS!

so is it just the driveshaft flanges that need changing to 100mm ones then? (for a 4cyl car)

I'm tempted to put a tall 5th cog (diesel?) in the 8v 02A box, seeing as it will just be doing cruises down the M1 to work anyway.

You don't get massive reductions, even using the longest cog you can get which is an ASD box 5th. About 500 rpm for a valver gearbox (not bad) but a G60 box only drops by 300 rpm.

I have always aspired to have a 6 speed box, stock ratios and a longer motorway friendly 6th would be great.