Sign in to follow this  
nicksxjr

1.8 16v running on two cylinders

Right straight in to needing help.

owned my corrado just a week and already i cant use it!

whilst driving home during the week started to accelerate and seemed to lose all power. limped the car home and it was running really rough.

have started diagnosing, and this is what ive found so far. i can unplug the ht leads from cylinders 2 and 3 and the engine actually runs much better. it seems to huff and tick when i plug them back in.

ive replaced my spark plugs, rotor cap and rotor arm none have fixed it. all plugs fire fine have checked this. tomorrow i need to compression test it, do the valves easily go?

oil is all ok no water. water is all ok no oil. no heating issues although i have to un-plug the cooling fan as it continusly runs when the car is switched off but what im saying is that theres no sign of head gasket issues.

im very profficient with engines but am i missing something known??

i have to un-plug the cooling fan as it continusly runs when the car is switched off

This is likely to be the after-run temperatire sensor. It lives on the front left of the cam cover (looking at it) just above the alternator and has a single wire going to it. The thermo-switch goes bad and does exactly what you describe. Just remove the wire for now until you can source a replacement switch.

good shout on the cooling fan!

however did the compression test this morning and results are: 11 bar cylinder 1, 2.5 bar cyl 2,2.5 bar cyl 3 and 7 bar cyl 4.

i smell a recon engine..... any suggestions would be appriciated!

headgasket gone between two cylinders?

If the head's not distorted or damaged at the blow, then 30 or 40 quid's worth of headbolts and a gasket should sort it.

im not going to lie.

i will put another kr engine in if my seat sells before the end of the month.

if it does not i will be seriously contemplating removing my 20vt (210bhp) from the leon and wedging it in to corrado!

yer 20v be a good fit ,but a gasket,bolts, cambelt kit,oil filter +oil,antifreeze could fix yours.be cheaper and easyer

i genuinly believe ive dropped two exhaust valves and possibly a piston ring. the speedo is reading 177.000 miles. this engine has probarly taken its share of abuse in that time!

well im in the process of searching for a decent KR but not as easy as thought. ive done engine versions in the past but nothing on that scale it is daunting!

Matey if you wanna drive to Sheffield I've a kr sat doin bugger all you can have for 40quid, the original head was removed and and gas flowed ad used on another engine but there is another head there ready to go, just needs a head gasket and bolts,

im not being a cheap skate i know its only £40 but whats it like??? condition wise? this could be the answer. its the drive up thats the bit for me.