Sign in to follow this  
Purgatori

Help! Knocking under acceleration!

Ok first off I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere, I just couldn't find the answer.

So, problem is I've started noticing a tapping/knocking coming up from the underside of my VR under acceleration. I feel it most through the accelerator pedal and a little through the steering wheel.

I don't have the knowledge or tools to try and fix it myself, so I took it to my trusted garage and asked them to check the steering, suspension etc etc.

They found a worn wheel bearing (3rd replaced this year :mad2: ) and sorted out the tracking which was a little off. Other than that, they couldn't find anything obviously wrong.

Problem came back after four days of driving.

It's not noticeable at higher revs and speed, or crawling through rush hour.It comes through most noticeably in 2nd, once the revs hit 2,500 and 3,500. It'svery rhythmic and speeds up as the revs increase, but there is no hestitancy in the engine, though it doesn't feel like the power is getting laid down efficiently.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Can't remember if the VR has a driveshaft weight or not, but if it does, it could easily be that. It's a circular thing about 10cm in width- just needs to be secured with a Jubilee each side on the driveshaft.

What about dead engine mounts?

My valver would knock under acceleration and the front engine mount was shafted ( Andy can confirm that :D )

Cheers guys, if I can find my way round the mechanical bits I'll have a goosey :grin: I may well be posting again in a few days being all girly and asking 'where is it?' :lol:

Ok, I hate to do it, but I'm gonna have to get all girly... :gag:

How do I get at the engine mounts? I can't find instructions I can understand on t'interweb.

Also, what tools (if any) do I need?

Get the bonnet up when its cold and try pulling the engine about by the inlet manifold. If you get quite a bit of movement (say more than a few cm) then could be engine mounts.

You can also test the mounts with the handbrake on. Pop it into 1st and gently lift the clutch to biting point. You will need two people, as someone will need to watch the engine as you do this. If it moves a lot, it's the front mount. Repeat with reverse for the rear mount :)

Is it like a rattle that only happens at a certian engine speed? If so, it could be the bearing shells, which are easy to replace if a bit laborious.

Is it like a rattle that only happens at a certian engine speed? If so, it could be the bearing shells, which are easy to replace if a bit laborious.

No, it's not a rattle. It's a quite definite knocking, but you can't hear it, just feel it coming up through the steering and through the pedals.