Sign in to follow this  
corrado_sunderland

1.8t oil pressure warning light, urgent help needed

After working hard all weekend on the rado its due for mot tomoro as ive took the day off to do it, however it has an issue im concerned about that im hoping is not serious. The rev gauge is now working after getting the converter box sorted however the car has a now began to start beeping at me and flashing the oil pressure light once you rev the car past 3.5-4k, the warning stops on and the car wil run fine as long as it wants it seems until it revs over that mark, I tried making it do it and reved it a few times and every time without fail after 1 to 4 revs itl bring the lite on, ive tried swapping the switches over and it constantly just flashes light with no beep so they must be rite way round as it has no lights on this way round on start once it fires up. Im totaly stumped, wrong oil pressure sensors? Or could it be down to me using loads of sump sealer when I put new sump on and blocking pump, its never ran other than 200 metres up the road and its stood and ran alot so I imagine it cant be that as I only had a bit excess over edges no thicker in diameter than a bookies pen which I kno wil be repeated internally potentialy but other than doing a manual oil pressure test tmoro im stumped any ideas peeps? As its me last day off to get it done now tomoro:-( and im praying the engine ok as its seems totally fine and never had an issue with it while it been standing and running til now

More than likely the oil pressure sensor switch is knackered mate although the 1.8t engine does suffer from sludge/carbon fouling up the oil pick up strainer so this is also a possibility, I would change the switch 1st though, theyre not expensive

Ive had the sump off when I had sump welded( as it was cracked when moving it around) but I cleaned it all out then, im just hoping it nt anything serious like that, I have a spare sensor as only one of em is brand new so when I do the manual test tmoro I guess il replace one I take out with it, is, any sensor should be ok I imagine? And and ideas as to problem?

Had this with my 20v mk2 ;

when the light goes on and it beeps try and remove the wire and earth it out...it should stop then.

As far as i know there are 2 sensors, low one which should come on with ignition to test low bar reading and then go out when engine starts then the high one which tells the oil pressure over 2k revs...

I had problems with the converter box as well from qpeng and had it remapped 3 times and the voltage changed to no avail...

Look on clubgti there`s loads of stuff on there about this.

Ive moved out now and can only get on certain sites,any idea which one to take off and earth? And does the high and low pressure sensors differ or are they the same sensors doin a different job? So is this actualy related to my rev converter then? It never did it until I got it and is this the cause?

Ive moved out now and can only get on certain sites,any idea which one to take off and earth? And does the high and low pressure sensors differ or are they the same sensors doin a different job? So is this actualy related to my rev converter then? It never did it until I got it and is this the cause?

check the sensors & wiring, both sensors should be in the housing on the front of the block. The white one is the high pressure switch, yellow wire goes to this one, black/brown is low pressure switch, blue wire goes to this one. Peel back both boots and check the wires arnt frayed or anything.

The buzzer & light go off over 1.8-2k rpm if oil pressure drops below 1.8 bar, at idle the light will come on if pressure drops below 0.3bar. Buzzer shouldnt go off at idle, if it does you have a wiring or dash fault.

The reason its started now is that the high pressure sensor works off your rev conter going over 2k..no rev counter no message to the clocks...remove the high sensor wire and earth and this should stop the buzzer;if it does then the wirings good and sensor not.

Thanks for the help m8 it failed mot tday and I did a pressure test with manual gauge and it was fine so it got a wireing fault by luks of it as coolant lite on all the time now and even the rev adapter stopped workin nw tday so im stumped haha

What did it fail on ? not much i hope

one rear break binding on (handbrake cable seized i think) and passenger door not opening due to centrol locking on one door being buggered, i was hoping he wouldnt notice :lol: