Sign in to follow this  
stretch.

MOT Fail :(

Looking on the brightside, at least I only got one advisory!

001 Rear Registration plate lamp bulb not working

002 Offside front headlamp excessively damaged so that the light output is severely reduced

003 Nearside windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively

004 Parking brake lever has no reserve travel

005 Offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort

006 Offside rear wheel bearing has excessive play

007 Offside rear wheel bearing rough when rotated

008 Offside front suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint

009 Offside inner rear brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick

010 Nearside front Macpherson strut has excessive movement at the upper attachment

011 Parking brake efficiency below requirement

From what I can gather, I need a new ball joint, the wheel bearing and Macpherson strut may tighten up.

I have a spare headlamp so that's not an issue and bulbs are only a pound or so, if I can't bend the windscreen wiper I'll consider buying lupo gti/tt arms for it.

The brake issue points to it having completely seized, what am I looking at cost wise for this? Is the golf mk4 upgrade gonna be more cost effective?

And the advisory:

001 Corroded PAS Pipes.

Not bad for it's 16th/17th MOT...

Hah tell me about it, I had to have a suspension overhaul, then tax, then the gearbox went, then needed tyres now this...

Boy, corrado's sure know how to empty a bank account in style! Still loads that needs fixing.

you need a new top mount on the suspension by the sounds of it, about a tenner for a new pattern one, you need a spring compressor (15 quid from screwfix) and a slotted nut removal tool to remove the top mount from the strut (about a fiver)

It's probably an hour long job and either a special slotted socket (to get an allen key onto the top strut nut) or an air gun to remove the top mounting cap.

Easy job really.

Why did you take it for an MOT with a smashed headlight though? :scratch:

not to bad that

I'd have to agree. There's nothing major there, to be honest its all run of the mill maintenance type stuff. If that was up together it would have sailed through I suspect. Bulbs, brake pads, rough bearings etc, all very easy to check and sort before the MOT.

One was a prefacelift, one was a facelift, failed because the pre one had less light output.

I'm just wondering how the garage got to £412 to change a bearing, and have a look at the suspension top! Ball joints aren't that expensive are they?

Gonna be a nice chat when I get down to the garage after work.

Rear disks and pads were changed about 3 months ago so I didn't think there was anything to worry about with those! But it's not a massive issue, I've sorted 2 new calipers so I hope I don't have to worry about them seizing again.

As for bulbs, I had one led bulb in and one glass bulb for some reason in the numberplate light so I dunno what's gone on there!

Cost of car this month so far: £1150. *sigh* (and rising)

One was a prefacelift, one was a facelift, failed because the pre one had less light output.

I'm just wondering how the garage got to £412 to change a bearing, and have a look at the suspension top! Ball joints aren't that expensive are they?

Gonna be a nice chat when I get down to the garage after work.

Rear disks and pads were changed about 3 months ago so I didn't think there was anything to worry about with those! But it's not a massive issue, I've sorted 2 new calipers so I hope I don't have to worry about them seizing again.

As for bulbs, I had one led bulb in and one glass bulb for some reason in the numberplate light so I dunno what's gone on there!

Cost of car this month so far: £1150. *sigh* (and rising)

£412 is a piss take. tell them where to stick it.

ball joint is the hardest job out of the lot but still not difficult. try veedubmachine for a new one.

need to have a look what adjustment you have in your handbrake cable. a tweek of that should get you through the mot.

cheapest for pads ive found seems to be rapidcarparts.

wheel bearing is simple and about £8 off egay for the complete kit. tierod69 i think is the bloke, he does top mount kits for a good price too.

i think youll be looking at under £100 for parts and a couple of hours on the drive.

hope that helps.

Ah, I see now, the reflector was badly tarnished, not the glass severely damaged :)

I can see how your bill added up, if they fixed everything on the list there would have been at least a couple of hours labour, plus parts.

It does seem a bit steep though, totally depends on what parts they sourced and the cost of them plus their hourly rate.

They should have included wheel alignment too.

Thing is, I have a spare bulb set in the car, so I fixed that, I had a spare facelift headlight with a bust case that I swapped over, wiper arms I bent enough to clear the screen and fitted flat blade wipers.

I've also got some new calipers and pads coming so they don't require those. Handbrake failed because of the fecked caliper, no pad on it and doesn't bite at all!

Little miffed to be honest, and I just hope the guy added it up wrong!

An Update:

The garage replaced everything. Including all the parts I replaced myself on the car and just the one side caliper. Which was nice. But not what I asked them to do.