Sign in to follow this  
bassjamm

16v Inlet Manifold Cleaning...

Hi all,

I'm wanting to clean and detail my engine bay and would like to make my inlet manifold all shiny and nice looking, not pitted and dull as it is currently.

Now I'm pretty dumb when it comes to cars, so it fairly easy and harmless to remove, clean up and put back together? Or should I really have someone around who knows what they're doing?

Thanks

Jamie

To get rid of the pitted marks is very hard work mate by hand , i started one a while back got about 80 % done then gave up lol prepare for fingers cramping and crap everywhere as its a dirty job too. Just a good clean can make them look nice or a lick of paint mine has been done black. a wire brush drill attachment can bring them up looking really nice and its quicker too.

also see if this works for the rest :)

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28025

Hey Dragon...

Thanks for that. I looked through that link earlier today, gonna give it a go for definite :)

I'd still like to pursue the cleaning of the inlet manifold though as it looks pretty mean when done I think. I'm guessing that removing it will make it much easier though yeah?

Jamie

I bought a 2nd hand one when i done mine lol ,but if you wanna smooth it then yeah you will have to remove it.

i used drill sanding flap wheels .lots of sanding strips and wet n dry, wire brush drill bits to clean it down first . and TIME and once smooth some metal polish like autosol lol good luck with it mate , look forward to see how you get on . 8)

I ended up giving mine away cause i bought an engine already done up nicely , the guy didnt smooth it as far as im awere but painted it in some water based paint i think he said giving it a very smooth finish like this

27022009289-1.jpg

If you just want to clean all the gunk off it and keep it standard, brake cleaner with an old rag is probably the best thing to use, removes oil and dirt better than anything.