krnau

Boot water leak

Hi there, I don't know if it's the corret place for this thread...

I've found that, under rain or car-washing, the boot ends up like a swimming pool :gag:

I don't know where it's coming from but I thought that maybe you could tell me the "usual" seals/etc that usually fail?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine had a small leak around the spoiler "gasket" not where the spoiler goes through,but where the rubber gasket is screwed to the boot. I just took the spoiler off,undid the two screws,lifted the gasket off,cleaned area,and used some gasket sealer !(silicone) All cured ,5-10 minutes :D

Rubber gasket obsolete :(

Boot seal, spoiler mounts, light cluster seals and that's about it.

Sent from my HTC Desire

hey, thanks for these quick replies :D

I had the badge holes leak some time ago, but since I shaved them, that's been fixed.

Tail lights aren't leaking as I also had this problem before :lol: and sealed them propperly

I'll have a look at the spoiler seals :o

I'm also thinking about roof stripes draining pipes maybe?

Or rear side "windows" leaking maybe?

best bet, remove boot carpets, fold rear seats down, dry boot as best as you can, with a torch get in the boot, and get some with a hose spray the tailgate area and check for a leak. seal, repair leak and re-test.

you could also remove everything, dust with talcum and then use your hose. You'll see the water tracks pretty quick.

using talcum sounds really good, thanks!

I'll start on both of the spoiler rubber seals tomorrow. thanks!!!

Had the same problem...Noticed a puddle of water had collected in the boot a few days back but couldn not work out where it was coming from....So today noticed a heavy downpour I ran to my car like a mad man. Folded my rear seat back and laid there in the boot in wait :)

Sure enough there it was. Leak coming through at the rear driver side corrado badge lug area. Gonna seal this area good and proper when I get a chance.

I found that the p/s spoiler seal was bended and so allowing water in. The wires of the fog and back-gear lights were rusted due to contact with water. It took me 2 hrs to remove the seal as one of the nuts had been rounded :sleeping: so I had to drill it out, replace, and seal the seal with silicone :norty:

I checked tail lights + plate number surround + badge holes for leaks and found they were OK.

I'll continue with the investigation this afternoon.

thank you all for the ideas :wave:

right, it looks like spoiler seals didn't like the silicone I gave them :( so I've used underseal instead :norty:

I'll come back in a few days as it's going to rain all weekend ...

check the badges.

I second that! Some idiot had stuck my badges on with tape. The VW emblem was dripping but it was p1ssing in through the large Corrado badge. I took the whole lot off and cleaned it up and purchased 6 x 191 853 615A blind grommets from VW any £0.41 each. I pushed these into the holes and popped the badges back and would you believe it, no more leaks!

:clap:

I'll let the underseal dry for a few days. I'm trying to achieve a lower diameter of the "hole" of the spoiler seals, as silicone didn't work for this :eek:

oh, and number plate lights' panel is held by two bolts like these:

388514.jpg

:pukeright:

so it may leak from there, too :(

what an Idiot owned my car before me :bad-words:

so today it rained a lot, and water is still getting in the boot. A small amount only, but still getting wet :censored:

Spoiler isn't in the car now and both "holes" are sealed with duct tape :norty:

where else could it be leaking from?

to sum up, I've checked:

-spoiiler seals (holes)

-badges

-tail lights

I used some silicone in order to fix the spoiler seals leak and it seems to be fixed now 8)

thank you all!!

Here's a weird one,found water in my offside rear light lens !

Stripped the light off,checked lens for cracks, holes etc,seemed a little water "tracking" in the top seal, cleaned seal and boot aperture,before re fitting,hopefully all sorted