Sign in to follow this  
carrots

what else could it be

ive got a prob with the steering on my 1990 16v.its not long past the mot so i hope its nothing major.when i drive on the bypass about 70 mph it feels like the steering is going from left to right on its own,it also does it on a roundabout .ive changed the bottom arms the drop links,tie rods,track rods,cv joints and had the tracking done.so what else could it be :shrug:.its fine at low speeds

is it when you drive on a camber or runts in the road? mine does that too.

Mines mostly due to top mounts being knackered .but before i had my tracking done my car would pull left all on its own even on falt ground and would follow cambers+runts making it steer all over the place.during the tracking he told me the right hand control arm ball joint was gettn sloppy which i think def wont help.

My steering is better but still follows the runts so its down to ball joint and top mounts.

Corrados are notoriously fussy about any play in any part of suspension.

Yeah Lorry ruts will cause that and to a lesser extent, the tyres themselves.

What is the camber set to? You could try running it more negative.

What Corrados need is more caster but you can't adjust it; easily.

i dont think the wheels need balancing because i dont get a shake from the steering wheel,top mounts tho ,the mot did advise 1 had slight play.how big a job is it to do that,would i have to have the tracking done again.not sure what camber its set at

i got the advisery too but at 68 euro PER MOUNT over here in germany,i wont be gettn mine til next month

think theres a link somewhere how to do it,youll have to search fourm.easier to remove whole strut because you need to use spring compressor

Could be a number of reasons for this, try changing the suspension bushes as these normally cause play in suspension components.

What wheels do you have on your car? Big wheels and low profile tyres are always bad news for tramlining

you can get poly top mounts as far as im aware. never bothered with them though so cant comment on an improvements/dissadvantages.

if your car is on lowering springs you can get away with leaving the strut bolted to the hub and not use a spring compressor, just use your weight to pull it down and you can change them like that.

you will need a 7mm brake caliper allen key, a 22mm socket with two flats ground into it so you can grab it with an adjustable spanner and away you go.

ive got audi rs4 copy alloys 17" with 205/45 tyres.is it a bit scary changing um with no spring compressors :eek: .its just had new wishbones

nah if its on lowering springs theres no need, the spring is effectivly already compressed if you catch my drift.

standard springs and you will need a compressor.

i am building up to changing my top mounts,asked a few people now how to change um.been told i dont need coil spring compressors unless i am changing the bearing aswell.as they come with the bearing i think i should change them tho.my car is lowered but not on coil overs

as i said before, i changed my when it was on lowering springs without a compressor.

its easier with one but its up to you really. think i remember someone writing a how to, possibly swompy?? have a search if theres anything youre not sure on. its pretty straight forward, just remember what order you take the bits off in. so you can do the same in reverse.

give swompy (jake) a pm. i could be talking out my arse, but i seem to think i saw it.