Sign in to follow this  
Fanjita

VR6 Idle Bouncing

Hi all,

I'm suspecting it is the isv at fault here but wanted to ask the experts first.

Basically my vr idles great in normal conditions, but when I was manoeuvring it around in my gravel drive it acts very funny, not the first time its done it either!

As you can imagine moving it around my drive involves a lot of clutch action as I flick between 1st and rev. If I don't give it enough beans it will literally start bouncing, earlier it took at least 30 seconds to stabilise. The engine is almost always cold if that makes a difference, and come to think of it I think its better warm.

I'm not sure if its the isv as its flawless in all the other types of driving, and doesn't cut out when the clutch is dipped at junctions like a dodgy isv would? (If I'm correct)

I have applied carbon cleaner to the isv in the past too.

Hope you can help.

James

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Bouncing idle is most likely to be the ISV. Check the pipes around the ISV for blockages too. The ISV damper box is full of sponge/foam stuff which sometimes departs and lodges in the surrounding rubber pipes. It can cause exactly these symptoms. I'd clean and lube the ISV while you're at it if it hasn't been done lately too.

Said foam can also get stuck behind the moving part of the valve, preventing it from opening and closing properly, so give a thorough inspection and clean up. Connect the valve to a 12V supply to fully open the flap and check for any foreign objects. Pin 2 is 12V, Pin 1 is Ground.

New valves are huge money for what it is, so might be an idea to source a s/hand one to keep on standby!