Sign in to follow this  
stevef

Engine Speed Sensor

I have just repaired my ABS so used VAG-COM to clear the stored error in the ABS control unit.

While there I checked the engine ECU and to my horror had the following code stored...

00513 Engine speed sensor no signal.

I cleared the code and started the engine (I read the code with ignition on but not running) and the error has not returned - yet!!!

Could the error be down to me having the ignition on with the engine not running?

If it is the sensor where is it and how much to replace?

Cheers

Yeah, the engine speed sensor tells the ECU how fast the engine is turning... Engine not running = no signal! :roll: :lol:

Don't panic! 8)

Spot on Henny!

And to add some more shrapnel to the pile.....the Engine speed and Vehicle speed 'no signal' errors (whilst engine is off) are actually bugs in the Bosch Motronic M2.9 firmware. Ross-Tech say to ignore them....and I do :lol:

If you get "implausible signal" with the engine running though, that is a problem! You're only likely to see that if the sensor loses it's resolution but 9 x out of 10, the engine won't even start if it's kabuggered.

k

You always get this code with ignition on and engine not running, and it always clears by itself when you start the engine :-) ;-)

[EDIT] Damn, beat me to it Kev ;-)