Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Brighter bulbs

right.. got my side lights LED's.

Firstly how should i go about getting them out of the plastic housing without damaging the LEDs?

Secondly do both of the prongs solder to the metal pip in the bulb bayonet base?

any pics of when you did it stormseeker?

ta

right.. got my side lights LED's.

Firstly how should i go about getting them out of the plastic housing without damaging the LEDs?

Secondly do both of the prongs solder to the metal pip in the bulb bayonet base?

any pics of when you did it stormseeker?

ta

asking questions like that are you sure you want to do this?

No, one goes to the pip (+ve) and the other goes to the metal shell (-ve) - and you must take great care not to short them together or you'll fuse the sidelight circuit...

Getting out the LEDs from the plastic wedge base is just something you have to practice - you might have to destroy one before you get it right...

Unfortunately I've not got any pictures, and as I said unfortunately the bulbs (well, complete headlights actually :shock: ) were smashed to smithereens last Sep.

Best of luck...... have you ever soldered before? Do you know anything about basic electric circuits? :?:

cheers. yes i have soldered before but made a bit of a mess... but i do know that i cannot allow it to short!

:shock: ...that you cannot afford to do, there's not a lot of room in the metal bayonet base to play with... hope you've bought a few sets of spare bulbs (both filament and LED type) to experiment with ;-)

yeah yeah i have loads to mess with :? :oops:

[counts] erm.......1.............2.......hmmmm, that'll be 2 then [/counts]

it'll be fine.... 8)

im more worried about getting my heater pannel lit up properly now

thanks for all your help though....and im sure i'll need to ask you stuff again in the future

you must think im a complete no brainer....cant do bulbs , cant do brakes!!! :lol:

OK, dont flame me on this as you may already know/not be too bothered, but just in case someone else reads the thread and doesn't know, fits LED's and then falls foul of 'The Law' :roll: . I was looking at fitting LED's to my back lights, as had seen and liked the instant way they light up on some newer cars and especially buses round here. However, looking in to this a bit more it seems it's not road legal to fit LED's in to vehicles which weren't originally made/approved with LED's fitted. i.e if your car doesn't come from the manufacturer with LED's in, not legal to fit LED's in place of normal bulbs. Just thought I'd say that in case someoone shells out for what are after all expensive items, then realises the situation....

Mark (runs for cover with tin helmet on! ) :)

hey, did you also know its illegal to go over the speed limit :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

dont worry kvwloon, its a good point but sometimes you just have to bend the rules a little in the name of style!

Mind you...if you manage to get LED's that are E approved then i think its all ok??

Sh#t, illegal to go OVER the speed limit!, I thought it was the other way round in a C :lol:

Thought you guys already heavily involved in this thread would know how things stand legally, just thought someone else might stumble over this thread and possibly do a big spend on full set of LED bulbs in innocence! Wish the Law would catch up with style, LED's look and react so much better :(

Suppose the only E approved bulbs would be OEM to fit to new cars already with LED lights from new??

just thought i'd throw this into the mix.............just tried my LED's on the 9v battery to see if they still worked after being ripped out of the casing...and the worked both ways...i.e the polarity didnt matter???

should be finished by tomorrow though then we'll see what they look like in the car.

just thought i'd throw this into the mix.............just tried my LED's on the 9v battery to see if they still worked after being ripped out of the casing...and the worked both ways...i.e the polarity didnt matter???

should be finished by tomorrow though then we'll see what they look like in the car.

You've got properly engineered ones then! The cheap & nasty ones I've got only work one way...

Good luck....