Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Weird headlight problem - delayed coming on...

Ok, here's an odd one. Got to the car last night, switched the headlights on (2 clicks), and nothing, just the side lights. I replaced 2 bulbs about a month ago, so the initial though was "oh, they must have gone again". Given it was dark, switched the foglights on so I had some light and drive home (all of 1.5 miles). When I got home the headlights were working again, so the bulbs obviously hadn't gone. Got home, engine and ignition off, a few times while testing the lights, and yep, everything fine and normal.

Get up this morning, out to the car, same problem. Lights switched on, only the sidelights come on. Switch the fogs on, and no change to the headlights. Turn the fogs off and head off to work with the headlights switched on (both clicks on the switch) but only the sidelights working when I set off. When I get to work (all of 5mins) headlights are working normally.

Grr, not needed at this time of the year. Anybody had any similar experience or any ideas as to what it could be. BTW I have an aftermarket loom (twin relay one from h100vw) which is a few years old now. I was wondering whether it could be that, or even the X-relief relay. Any ideas appreciated though as it's doing my nut in.

Try swapping the fuses and the relays over in the loom... quite possibly down to them. Maybe the relay is sticking and the heat / vibration from the engine is freeing it up?

Good call - will try that. Come to think of it I did swap over the relays when diagnosing my headlight problem before, and I didn't swap them back. Definately one to try.

I took the 2 relays from the aftermarket loom oput yesterday, and yep one of them had a lot of rust on a leg. Sanded it back, applied copious WD40 and put them back in and it seems to be working again. Will source a couple of enw relays when next at Maplin. Thanks for the advice folks.