Sign in to follow this  
andy

Head unit mounting issues/questions

I'm trying to get my head unit back in the dash and I've noticed the following.

The cage that supports the (heavy) headunit can obviously only grip on the front edge of the centre console, the stereo remains unsupported apart from that. That doesn't seem satisfactory to me after extensively de-rattling the dash area.

The 'shelf' type structure that exists within the dash (mine is covered in black felt), I would assume is there to support the headunit? The issue here being that it sits about 2cm lower than the headunits base, and therefore can only support the headunits weight if it is mounted at a silly angle (ie not flush with the centre console.

I know there is a tab of metal at the back of the headunit slot with a hole in it, I'm assuming that could be utilised if a bolt/stud were fitted in the back of the headunit, I have some seen some headunits with that kind of fitting.

What has everyone else done to keep there headunit secure? I've broken and repaired 2 centre consoles in the last 5 years, it doesn't seem right to just mount it with the cage on the flimsy centre console.

I'm erring towards fitting a block of wood to the 'shelf', that would support the headunit from below.

Any advise appreciated :)

I pondered this as well when I installed mine. I know the tab that you speak of inside the dash and yes, I would imagine it was used to secure the factory unit. This tab in my car has been bent back where someone has fitted a unit with a bump stopper on the back probably. Mine came with a stopper as well (a screw with a rubber hat thing) but it would not go deep enough when I had this on, so I went without it. I have yet to drive the car since the unit went in (without the stopper) but it sits nice and flush and doesn't seem to put a strain on anything, but I don't know about rattles yet.

I wonder if headunits differ in weight a lot, mine is an old kenwood, driving a changer in the boot, but it does still have a cassette slot in it too, were thes much heavier than modern, say mp3 units?

I have an Alpine ipod thing, it doesn't even have a CD player, it's much lighter than a unit with a CD mech built in.

there is supposed to be a largeish rubber bush thing screwed into the back of your head unit that fits into that hole to support the back of the unit.

there is supposed to be a largeish rubber bush thing screwed into the back of your head unit that fits into that hole to support the back of the unit.

Cool, that makes sense, can you get them anywhere?

If you PM me your address I'll send you the screw in rubber support thingy for the back of the head unit FOC. They are normally included with the head unit when new.

PB110040.jpg

If you PM me your address I'll send you the screw in rubber support thingy for the back of the head unit FOC. They are normally included with the head unit when new.

PB110040.jpg

I have PM'd you :)

What an absolute Gentleman! Top work sir, I thank you. :notworthy:

Just got it fitted, I had to drill and tap the headunit slightly bigger than the existing hole but it now fits perfectly. Thanks muchly :-)

fair play...

the rubber bit kept popping out of mine, so i pulled out all the ashtray etc below, then held the metal bit and pushed the stereo right in, been fine since

I can't believe I've been driving round for years without it. Its so much more solid now! I wonder how many people have it fitted?