Sign in to follow this  
Jon TDI

Engine takes too long to return to idle

The problem I have is that it takes too long to return to idle after the engine is revved.

So, I've just replaced my throttle cable thinking that it would cure this problem. But, no.

I've had a look at the idle switch & that seems to be OK but I'm not 100% sure.

Anybody got any ideas?

I haven't checked the switch with a meter, but I have checked it manually, ie. revved the engine & then pushed the switch manualy & it seems to work OK.

Something else I have noticed is that the new cable seems to be stiffer than the old one!

when i press the swithc it revs up to about 1800rpm as if it isn't at idle. iv had it where the engine mount came loose at front n bent the holding plate for the swithch on the TB. this gave differing tickover until repaired.

also when doing some work around there had a little cr*p stick on it which made it stick for a brief second after lift off

Looks like I'll have to give it a good clean around that area & try to move the position of the idle switch.

It does look pretty dirty on top of the TB & around the linkages. Maybe a bit of oil on the linkages & cable would cure the stiff operation.

one thing i've heard is that you really have to use alot of lubrication (STEADY!!! :lol: ) on the cable, When i bought mine, the cable had snagged up in the tube which made roundabouts very scary!

Right then, I think I solved the problem.

I cleaned up the linkages & lubed them up along with the cable.

The cable operation feels fanastic now but it still doesn't return to idle quick enough.

What I forgot to mention was all this has been happening after I fitted a 3.5bar FPR. I think what is happening is that the extra fuel going in at idle is making the ISV hold on to the revs far too long.

I will hake a look at the mixture settings & adjust to suit.

Hi jon ive got a 1.8 16 valve and im having pretty much the same problem as you mate but the only difference is that with mine, the engine starts to idle high (at about 1500rpm) as soon as the fan in the engine comes on after about 110 degrees engine temperature as read on the mfa, i havn't changed the idle switch or cable as i think these are fine, i've sprayed the cable with wd40 but no difference. Does anyone know what the problem could be and how i may solve it ?