Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Brake pipe flaring tool

Can anyone recommend a decent brake pipe flaring tool which can do the right kind of ends for Corrados? It's a mushroom ended type IIRC?

I've got the proper VAG steel brake pipe, so needs to be strong to flare that!

I've seen some starting at £20, going up to £200+! I dunno what's good and what isn't!

Cheers

ya that does the mushroom ends. i have a snap on one which is pretty much the same and its great, with that type you can flare the brake pipe on the car aswell which is handy.

I use this style of flaring tool through work and have to say its a good bit of kit.

It does the job fine on all types of pipe and with the lever style you can give it some grief if the pipe is hard

The standard flaring ends worked ok when i redid all my brake lines.

OFF CAR BRAKE PIPE FLARING TOOL

• Lever cam action for quick flaring off the vehicle

• Automatic punch extraction from flare

• Produces both convex & double lap flares to SAE & DIN standard (3/16" & 4.75mm pipe)

• Other sizes available

• All components available individually

PART No. ALB30626

Kev, you could pm Alex on here (volksworld13) as he is using the genuine steel pipe to refabricate new pipes for his car and was planning on selling a few sets too to exact shape as the original so i know he has the right kit too. :?

For speed, finish and ease of use i would buy the lever style every day of the week.

I recon you could flare ten pipes ends easily to one using the screw type.

I used one of these for my car, works fine and can be done on the car if needed

EBay Item number: 250623883253

Kev - just posted in your members thread...

For the steel stuff you need an SP Flaremaster or this which I think is better - so simple to use -

Kev, if you're buying a Flare Tool check out Automec's version of the SP Flaremaster - best I've seen and 2CC picked one up at the Classic Car show.

http://www.automec.co.uk/oakes_tools/oa ... e_set.html

2CC had previously bought a franklin one and it just slips and won't grip the pipe, I have loads of OE pipe, ends and a really good bending tool specifically for the coated pipe but never bought a flaring kit as I have access to one at a mates garage.

Cheers mate. I ordered this one last night - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012MB482/r ... B0012MB482

Got the last one they had in stock and it's been despatched already, good old Amazon :D

What bending tool did you get? I might have to get one, although the outer coating doesn't bother me that much as I will be using proper primer and paint after they've been shaped.

don't want to hijack, but I don't think I ever found an explanation of why copper or cupro-nickel pipe is a problem (and it's so much easier to shape and correct if needs be.), I've always made replacements out of this :shrug:

don't want to hijack, but I don't think I ever found an explanation of why copper or cupro-nickel pipe is a problem (and it's so much easier to shape and correct if needs be.), I've always made replacements out of this :shrug:

The only real issue is it always seizes to the union nut so can only really be used once - ie next time you go to change a flexi it's so soft it twists.

Apparently you should only use brass nuts with copper - not copper or steel although the coated VW ones are a good compromise.

I like the steel pipes though - still look like new after 15 years!

Thanks Steve mate :salute:

Mind if I borrow yours over the weekend mate?

Yeah, copper brake lines. It's just a preference and convenience thing for me. Neil get it's from Audi at low cost and drops it off for me and copper always looks a bodge too. As Steve says, the steel pipes look and last like OE. Copper is easily damaged and doesn't like vibration much either, which is why OEs still use steel lines.

I used copper pipe when I fitted 288's and braided hoses. It's what my mechanic mate has always used, if they lasts 5 years (I expect longer) doesn't matter they were easy enough to fit. If I went for OE lines then I wouldn't of had the car ready for work the next day.

You can Kev, not sure how I'll get it too you though as I'm out all weekend...

Can bring into work tomorrow if you can collect - welcome to come for Lunch if you like?

talking of brake lines, im remaking all vr6 brake lines to exact spec,using genuine green pipe, and they are coming out real well, i will be making and selling these if ppl are interested, but as these are time consuming to make and the brake pipe is exspensive to do a full car, they are more exspensive than copper lines, but with new steel line, they will last the length of time.heres some pics

Seems like it would be a total ball ache to replicate all those bends in steel. I replaced all my lines and the ABS pump in a day or two, using hand bent copper. I reckon it would take you way longer in steel as you'll have to use a proper bending tool and then you'll have to coat them. If I was to do it again though I'd probably use Cupronickel. That's what new cars seem to be using now.