hyland770

cleaning calipers

just received my vr6 calipers and carriers from a fellow forum member and need some advice or tips on cleaning them up. What can i touch and what cant i, was going to use normal degreaser and some cloth possibly a toothbrush and wire brush where necessary. Are they fairly robust and thus can take some vigorous cleaning?? also what are the slider pins that people seem to talk about greasing!? im off to euro car parts to pick up some g60 discs and then hopefully these will be all fitted by the end of the weekend!

screw the tooth brush that was a wire brush on the end of a drill job, still they came up nice and the slider pins made themselves obvious to me, just bought the brake discs so gonna get it all put together...

It's quite safe to attack them with a drill wire brush attachment. It's best to tape up the rubber piston seals to avoid getting them damaged. This is how my Golf calipers turned out and they are 22 years old.

100_4810.jpg

i would strip them down completely, remove all the seals and inspect for tears or any damage. Then use some nitromors to strip off any old paint and get busy with the wire wheel. I still need to do my other caliper but its too cold atm :camp:

Right i've cleaned them all down, painted them, greased the slider pins etc...final questions:

1. how tight does the slider pin bolt need to be?

2. will the 16v brake line fit into the vr6 caliper?

3. what is the order of bleeding, rear right, rear left, front right, front left??

Ta guys :)

i've finally finished stripping repainting my calipers/carriers. In refitting the seals, do these need to be soaked in brake fluid prior to installation in the caliper? They wont be fitted immediately though, plus it is the original seals which are fully intact.