nutter driver

Recommend me some speakers

Hiya guys and girls,

Im looking to update the speakers in our '94 VR6. At the moment it has a decent head unit, but thats it, the rest is (i believe, although i havent actually checked!!) standard, and only half working.

Basically im looking to replace like for like size wise, (really dont want to start messing around with different speaker pods etc) not overly bothered about anything particularly amazing, just want something that sounds good, and wont distort and go all clippy when the volume is turned up a little bit.

I already have,

Head unit, Cant remeber much about it, pretty sure its 4 x 50w output, decent enough quality (in the car already)

Amp, again cant remeber much about it, actually im pretty sure i have two thinking about it (both in the loft)

Sub, in its own box, guess what, cant remeber much about that either!! (also in the loft)

The plan.

To be honest i havent entirely figured out what speakers the 'rado currently has, front doors, dash and rear parcel shelf supports?? What sizes etc??

Logically i would have thought replacing the front speakers (doors? do they have tweeters as standard?) with some good quality mids and tweeters (or just two ways if no tweeter mounting points), running off the amp, some parcel shelf support speakers running off the head unit (a bit of rear fill) and the sub and amp in the boot.

Does all of this sound about right? anybody got any suggestions on what speakers are a straight swap (size wise) and of reasonable quality? I would like to get the bits ordered this side of xmas if possible (not least so i can let my better half unwrap them on xmas day - it is supposedly her car after all!!) so i can fit it all up over chrimbo holidays!!

Any advice very much apreciated!!

hi i am no guru on this subject but what i did was replace the standard rear 6x4 with alpine 6x4s and put a pair of hertz speakers in the doors the corrado has separate tweeters in the dashboard if you lift the covers you will see them think they are made by nokia but cant remember.So putting comps in is no problem mids in doors tweeters in dashboard and sub in boot thats gonna give you a good all round sound. hertz , focal, rainbow are all good makes for speakers but always best to listen before you buy .

As rado2 said, rears are 6x4", though you'll probably have to take a dremel/hacksaw/pointy stick to the parcel shelf supports to get replacements in as the original ones have tiny little magnets compared to anything else. Fronts are 5.25" and mount from behind (so you have to take the doorcard off to get at them) and the factory tweeter locations are ideal for mounting replacement tweets in. Take an appropriate sized holesaw to the originals and you can mount the tweeter in there, hidden by the factory grille. The only other brand I'd suggest is JBL - if budget is tight, you can't go wrong with their entry level speakers.

Can anyone quote the dimensions of the front dash tweeters please? My car is at the body shop so I can't easily go and measure them.

A photo would be top banana but not essential.

...I need to buy a pair of good new tweeters tomorrow AM to fit over the weekend, ideally before the new windscreen goes in on Monday morning.

Cheers

Chris

Interested in this topic too.

Is there any other recommendations out there?

Is there any quality 6x4 to replace rears or is dropping in a couple of speakers into rear shelf the only realistic option?

I have a spare shelf so don't mind doing that but I think speakers on rear shelf look unsightly.

If feeding cables from front to rear/boot what is the neatest route to take?

dont bother with 6x4s..... they are a pretty crap size for giving good sound no matter where you get them from. I have upgraded all the speakers in mine to the original size & it still sounds very poor. Im told the only way forward is Audioscape pods, speakers to fit in them & an amp.....