Mike2006

Mike's Corrado G60

Well, finally tracked one down 8)

Unwrapped one of my Christmas presents today :o :D

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg

I've wanted a Corrado for quite a while so delighted when Santa took the opportunity to get me this one.

Even happier when I discovered he also knew about Bahnbrenner and Bartek motorsports as he was obviously busy gathering up some other nice toys for the car.

Anyway it's the latest addition to the stable, more information and plans to follow shortly...... ;)

A little about the car.....

It's a 1991 (J Reg) G60 which arrived in the country a few years ago.

It has relatively low and verifiable mileage at just a little over 86k miles. In fact the car only had notched up just 10k miles within it's first 10 years of life. The then owner apparently had a few cars and literally did a couple of k per year. It currently sits on a fresh NCT until 2012.

IMG_3901.jpg

IMG_3902.jpg

IMG_3903.jpg

IMG_3904.jpg

The interior of the car is genuinely immaculate with the only a missing cover from the drivers speaker in the door. Rear seats look as if they got little or no use at all. Similarly the boot area looks factory above and beneath the boot carpet.

P1010088.jpg

P1010089.jpg

P1010090.jpg

P1010094.jpg

P1010095.jpg

P1010096.jpg

Outside, the car did get a respray since it arrival in Ireland so bar a good detail it has zero rust anywhere on the car including arches and floor and thankfully no parking dings etc. The original Corrado wheels are fitted and were freshly refurbed. I have very few pics at the moment due to the snow but here are a couple to give you an initial idea of condition.

Also, delighted that the sun roof both tilt and slides which is a plus when buying a Corrado.

Note: pics are before H&R kit, refurbed wheels and new exhaust was fitted.

100_0490.jpg

100_0493.jpg

Engine and mechanicals:

The car has been well looked after as proven by the file with the car. Any changes have been of the OE+ variety. The most notable items in engine bay is a set of samco, a new charger from GWerks, Magnecor leads and a K&N filter.

100_0500.jpg

The last owner fitted a new Jetex stainless exhaust system and also a H&R suspension cup kit so it handles very well and sounds good too.

As mentioned the car came with a nice file of receipts and even some nice touches such as VAG sales literature from that era.

IMG_3907.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg

IMG_3905-1.jpg

So far I am very happy with the car. It is a very original low mileage car in very good overall condition considering it's knocking on 20 years old. Although on a similar chassis to MK2 it is still very different to drive. It has plenty of go with very smooth delivery from the charger, handles well on the H&Rs and stops well on the 280s up front. It needs some minor items done then it will get treated to a number of improvements ;)

More pics and information to follow.

Very, very nice! Like it a lot- black interior, gauges, sensible mods. Obviously been looked after too :)

First modification I purchased was this:

IMG_3851.jpg

Plenty of reading and in the usual huge Bentley detail :)

Brakes:

The car is to get a complete brake overhaul.

Plan is to replace:

Master cylinder

Brake regulator

Discs front and rear - Pagid

Pads front and rear - Pagid

Fit Goodridge braided lines

Fresh brake fluid

parts.jpg

As pictured above, new bearings front and rear too and a fresh set of wipers.

Next up, new from Bartek Motorsport a 68mm pulley and RS3 chip along with a wider charger belt.

IMG_3897.jpg

Schrick 268/276 asymetric cam and Schrick buckets:

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

Also from Bartek, a 4.7 bar variable fuel pressure regulator (FPR)

IMG_3900.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

Along with VA Adaptor, alloy Pipe, VW O-ring Kit, pressure hose, clamps and adjusting key.

IMG_3898.jpg

Bartek RS bypass valve and clamps. This valve increases boost at higher revs.

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3895.jpg

Although it had a cam belt and tensioner not too long ago, I decided to refresh it again

IMG_3893.jpg

New K&N panel filter

IMG_3892.jpg

Next few come from Bahnbrenner:

Starting with G60 fuel rail and kit

IMG_3859.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

G60 RSR outlet kit:

IMG_3852.jpg

and last but not least a small touch for inside the car from Bahnbrenner :)

IMG_3858.jpg

Few small updates.

A few changes inside and out:

Fresh grille and chrome front badge

IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg

Roof rails were getting a bit tired looking so thought best to replace them while still available

IMG_3928.jpg

Previous stereo left it's scars. Just need to remove lower plastic which contains the large Sony controller and fit the new one

IMG_3934.jpg

Rear shelf loaded with two nice but heavy speakers so out they will be coming and this slotted in

IMG_3933.jpg

Drivers speaker grille was missing. Hard enough to get one with lugs still in tact but tracked this one on UK forum

IMG_3931.jpg

The release plunger from tail gate was missing so needs must

IMG_3927.jpg

Lastly the part numbers for reference

IMG_3930.jpg

A couple of more bits and pieces needed before mechanicals can get tackled but happy enough with progress so far and enjoying the drive too :)

Nice to see another car on the forum getting some well deserved TLC :clap: . I hesitate to ask, but how much did the roof strips set you back...?

Mark

....from VW? (I had thought they were obsolete.)

Nope not yet, another one of the obsolete but not rumours.

Is the item listed as the spring the part for the tailgate? Could I ask how much it is?

Today's update:

I spotted this 4 branch MK2 8v Milltek manifold for sale so while not 100% on fitment we're going to give it a go. The car came with a new Jetex stainless system so should be a nice combination.

2010-12-28142754.jpg

I picked up some Porsche D90s at the weekend. Nice set of wheels which have not been used since being refurbed and an added bonus to have them sitting on brand new Avon rubber. The plan is to offer them up and see how they fit and look on the car. All going well the plan is then to have the existing BBS alloys fitted with a set of winter tyres for use on MK1, MK2 or Corrado. I'll post a few pics when I get that far.

Lastly, thanks to Karl (previous owner) for sending me on some more pics :)

P1010085.jpg

P1010083.jpg

P1010081.jpg

P1010080.jpg

Few updates.

Finally getting moving now on actual work. All parts are now in so work starts in the next couple of weeks.

I started some of the body trim jobs.

First up roof rubbers/rails (before and after).

Note: to remove rail you start at the back. I taped up th surrounding area and using a small plastic lever lift the cap gently. It is secured by a bolt like pin. Once lifted, gently lift the rail which is stuck down in the groove with a sticky tape. When you get near the front gently pull the front cap backwards off the pin that secures it. Give the groove a good clean before fitting new ones.

Fitting is the reverse. Slide front cap into place, pull back tape cover, and gently push rail down into groove with palm of your hand. When you get towards the back align plastic cap with gripper and push into place. Pics should explain a lot of this.

Before:

766.jpg

764.jpg

765.jpg

Back

769.jpg

771.jpg

770.jpg

Front

773.jpg

After:

774.jpg

775.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Front grille and badge replaced also.

Before:

763.jpg

After:

776.jpg

I didn't get a chance to machine polish the car yet but it got a good clean and a couple of coats of Nattys wax on Saturday.

Porsche D90s fitted also.

Lots more to do and really looking forward to the next few weeks and the mechanicals :)

Finally, first real pics I took of the car myself...

776.jpg

777.jpg

781.jpg

782.jpg

785.jpg

790.jpg

793.jpg

796.jpg

800.jpg

799.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

802.jpg

810.jpg

819.jpg

822.jpg

826.jpg

828.jpg

soo nice! and yea it is good to see these cars getting rescued from neglect, maybe we should setup a corrado sanctuary? abit like the rspca but for corrados, the rspcc!!

Small update:

H&R Front & Rear Anti Roll Bar Kit

Picked a new set of these up to further tweak the handling and add to the existing H&R Cup kit already on the car.

antirollbars.jpg

antirollbars-2.jpg

Picked up one of these scuttle panel jobs from SWG but unsure about it for the moment.

http://www.swgmotorsport.com/asps/Extra5.asp

A few other items in the pipeline....

Some bits and pieces arrived Friday. Small addition but for what they are these mats were pain in ass to try and get.....if you live in Ireland!

They are VW originals made by Votex. Full kit and quality is very nice.

IMG_4364.jpg

IMG_4363.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

I love the sound of the G60 on full song but for those moments in traffic I picked up this a few months back:

Kenwood KVT-627DVD head unit along with some key accessories.

Consists of the main wiring loom that can reach from your dash to the boot, IPOD Control unit(KCA-IP500), remote fascia, KVT-627 Brain.

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/produ...627DVD/details/

http://www.audio66.com/product.asp?id=5339...391724206481481

This is it in action

Pics

KVT-627DVD_eisbaer.jpg

DSCF2039.jpg

DSCF2048.jpg

brain.jpg

Need to decide on speaker upgrades. Not looking to build a big ICE system but just a decent set up.