Sign in to follow this  
corrado_sunderland

anyone used an electronic boost controller on 1.8t?

As I thought, 20/21 psi maximum boost which then tails off to 13psi at the top end. Maximum torque at 4200rpm and peak power at 6200rpm. 247bhp and 250lb/ft.

I'll try and check on the way home! Bit tricky watching the boost gauge, rev counter and road all at once though!lol!it's probably about 5500 rpm though. It was before the shift light which is around 6500 rpm

I'll try and check on the way home! Bit tricky watching the boost gauge, rev counter and road all at once though!lol!it's probably about 5500 rpm though. It was before the shift light which is around 6500 rpm

haha very true, so are you running a ko3s aswell bud?

Well I tried on the way home but it was a short run. Somewhere between 5 and 6k! Not much help but it was a little tricky trying to do it in 2nd gear!

Yeah it's a k03s, not much point me telling you my figures if it wasn't!lol! Mines from a skoda!

As mentioned earlier mine spikes at 22 and holds 13. i would probably see how the final map turns out for you 1st. have you tried to read for any fault codes?

Data logging ;)

I don't know if the MBE has data logging or not? I've never used it if it has. I was going for the simple observational approach! Lol!

Ah that's a point, you are one of the few who stand alone :D I just assume all the 1.8T and VRT boys use remapped stock ECUs.

Is this the Qpeng flavoured MBE box? Nearly all standalones I've seen have some kind of data logging. You'd have to check with the ECU maker :D it's a damn site easier than watching a load of gauges. I'm actually thinking of taking some out because it can detract from the fun of just driving and enjoying the car sometimes. Information over load!

Ah that's a point, you are one of the few who stand alone :D I just assume all the 1.8T and VRT boys use remapped stock ECUs.

Is this the Qpeng flavoured MBE box? Nearly all standalones I've seen have some kind of data logging. You'd have to check with the ECU maker :D it's a damn site easier than watching a load of gauges. I'm actually thinking of taking some out because it can detract from the fun of just driving and enjoying the car sometimes. Information over load!

so how do i do date logging on stadard ecu :confused4:

it is qpeng flavoured MBE. ive got the software and lead, but ive not installed it on my work laptop since ive not needed to do anything to it for a while (old laptop is now a macbook so not on there either).

stand alone is the way forward, the stock ecu is too restrictive and needs too many sensors. I think most people think 1.8t's are boring and soul less because standard and remapped engines are too smooth to feel quick. mine is much more aggressive!

so how do i do date logging on stadard ecu :confused4:

Yeah, 'Date' logging is appropriate in your case :lol: So how did the christmas party go then? :lol:

Do you have VAG-COM + lead and a laptop? What you do is fire up VAG-COM, connect to the Engine ECU, go to measuring blocks and then you select the measuring blocks you want to data log - e.g. Requested boost, Actual boost, Intake temperature, RPM, lambda, etc and click the log button. Leave the laptop connected on your seat and go out for a blast. When you get back, close the log and it saves it as a csv file to your laptop, which you can open in MS Excel and do all sorts of pretty graphs and things with :D

VW do things in a weird way so some of the numbers may need converting, like boost. It's shown in pascals instead of the more sensible KPA (Kilo Pascals) or even PSI, which we all can relate to.

You can tell a lot from that. You can see the pressure the mapper has requested, e.g. 200,000 pascals (200KPA, or 15 psi boost) and compare it to the boost your Map sensor sees.....ah.....you've got an AGU? That doesn't have a map sensor. Or is it just an AGU head on a K03S engine?

it is qpeng flavoured MBE. ive got the software and lead, but ive not installed it on my work laptop since ive not needed to do anything to it for a while (old laptop is now a macbook so not on there either).

stand alone is the way forward, the stock ecu is too restrictive and needs too many sensors. I think most people think 1.8t's are boring and soul less because standard and remapped engines are too smooth to feel quick. mine is much more aggressive!

Cool. Sounds like yours is running splendidly so not a huge incentive for you to log anything yet. It's great for trouble shooting and also tuning.

Glad you like the standalone method. I've been an advocate of it for years, but we're in a VERY small minority :D In actual fact, the ME7 ECU that runs the 1.8T & R32 is extremely sophisticated, but for people like us, sophisticated for the wrong reason - Emissions!

I didn't want to be bound to a set of rules and standards by the VW ECU with my VRT, so it had be binned. Standees give you complete freedom to do what you want, when you want :D

It's true what you say about standard 1.8Ts though. I think I've said to you before about our Polo 1.8T being too nanny state with the boost, and as a result it surges too much as it struggles to pull the boost back quickly enough. Not pleasant. I'd love to free it from the shackles of OE management but the missus won't allow it :D

I think most people think 1.8t's are boring and soul less because standard and remapped engines are too smooth to feel quick. mine is much more aggressive!

There's nothing smooth about the power delivery of my Leon. I love the aggression and sharpened-feel of the throttle compared to the standard map.

I think most people think 1.8t's are boring and soul less because standard and remapped engines are too smooth to feel quick. mine is much more aggressive!

There's nothing smooth about the power delivery of my Leon. I love the aggression and sharpened-feel of the throttle compared to the standard map.

Cool! I've been in standard 1.8's and they are very smooth and refined. Great maps, just not for me. Well mr student, I would love to compare our maps some time. My only concern is that I would be seduced into wanting a Leon! Love those cars!

Kev, I know the Bosch stuff is the dogs, fantastic management but not for us! It's too clever for it's own good!

I must say that the MBE is brilliant. Have done a few Qpeng conversions and it's so easy to work with. The software is quite comprehensive and good for fault finding. I've not mapped with it myself, but I've got a local tuner (award winning Bosch technician incidentally) who maps it and seems to like it.