Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Valver alternator replacement

Which (cars) alternators would be a suitable replacement for the stock 65amp for my 16v? Since it left the factory I've added a few extras which will probably cause the alternator to start to strain after a while; ICE, heated seats, uprated loom etc So I'm thinking 90amp will probably fit the bill

The original one started to whine a bit so I replaced it with another 65amp alternator I had (from another 'rado) but I think this one is worse as its making even more noise...

Are the pulleys interchangeable from that off of a valver (V-belt) and that from a G60/VR6 (ribbed) ie could I put my pulley onto one that was originally for a ribbed belt? Also I'm going to assume that the mountings will possibly be different? Correct me if I'm wrong

Jay

When i still had my valver in mine,i too needed more amps,

went to my friendly main dealer,ordered a 90amp exchange alternator (2 year guarantee) straight fit,as its exactly the same ! they do a 120 amp if needed.

Once fitted,took my old one back,IIRC cost me about £90 !

they wasnt bothered mine was only 65amp,they just needed one to return.

yep, 90 amp bosch alternator (as fitted to passat) is the one you want, basically the same as the 65 but with a bigger body, same pulleys and fitment to front of engine though.

When VW went to ribbed belts the alternators changed too, so you can't swap pulleys and use a mk3 golf alternator, you'd need to convert to the full ribbed belt system and change the crank pulley/damper etc

Ok cool, well i think the alternator finally died so I'm going to put my old one back in till i can find one. Is it the B3 Passat that I need?

Ok cool, well i think the alternator finally died so I'm going to put my old one back in till i can find one. Is it the B3 Passat that I need?

yep, from 1988 up to about 1994 when the passat finally went ABF mk3 16v engine and ribbed belts

Passats will sometimes have the 65amp especially on the early 1.8 KR ones.