Pat_McCrotch

Keep it original

Very interested in one of these too so let me know when u get round to selling your spare ones. Although something tells me I am not first on the list judging by the thread.

I'm not a car audio expert so this might be a stupid question but surely fitting is simple? Don't they have a standard ISO connector on the back or is the wiring different to aftermarket units?

Cheers

Jon

Edited by JonnyHull

I find it quite strange that peeps here think the Gamma is original for a UK spec Corrado. Or original to the Corrado. Each VW market for the Corrado had its own ICE set up supplied at delivery. UK is as said were Panasonic/Sony.

The UK Corrado brochures are doctored to hell. VW were lazy (and still are) in taking new photos of a RHDrive Corrado to incorporate into the brochure.

The spec sheet for UK states:

- No ICE stated as standard equipment (1989 - 1991), just stated a "stereo radio cassette is offered as standard". What was offered was Panasonic/Sony.

- Sony XR5451 (1992)

- Sony XR5509 (1993 - 1995)

except for the Storm which was Sony CDX600DSP.

If anything else was fitted UK wise around:

1993 - 1994, then the dealership had a choice of:

Sony CDX5460 Radio/CD

Sony CDX5060 Radio/CD

Sony CDX-U303/U404 CD Jukebox (10 CD in either)

Sony DJ704 Radio/Cassette (XR7041) + Jukebox (CDX70) (10 CDs)

Sony XR-U500 Radio/Cassette

Sony XR-U401 Radio/Cassette

Sony XR-U301 Radio/Cassette

1994 - 1995, then the dealership had a choice of:

Sony MDX150RDS Radio/Mini Disc Player

Sony CDX600DSP Radio/CD

Sony XRC510 Radio/Cassette

Sony CDX5090 Radio/CD

Sony XRC620 Radio/Cassette

Sony XR3209 Radio Cassette

Sony XR6459 Radio Cassette

Sony XR6659 Radio Cassette

Sony CDX5290 Radio CD

Sony CDX71 or 91 CD Jukebox (6? or 10 CDs)

Sony MDX40 MiniDisc

Sony RM-X1S or RM-X2S Joystick control

By this time in 1993, Panasonic had lost the contract to supply ICE to VW(UK).

Edited by RW1

God knows what a dealer supplied MiniDisc player cost in 1994/1995! Rather exorbitant then I would imagine?

Not totally correct though. I turned down the Sony CD Radio in favour of a Blaupunkt radio cassette which drove a cd multichanger in the boot. That was in 1992. Blaupunkt was an option.

Mine is a 1995 and came with a sony headunit as standard, but i changed it for something modern, i don't think putting an old stereo back in is going to add any sort of value to the car, be it money or enjoyment

Well, I think the Gamma IV may well have been standard fitment in Germany - it certainly was on the Passat - and what I like about it is that it looks very OEM. Not likely to get stolen in a hurry either - and it has a red anti theft LED on it that can only help. With changer or Ipod input it works pretty well. I think the only other worthwhile upgrade is a Nakamichi CD 35-45z or CD300/500

I find it quite strange that peeps here think the Gamma is original for a UK spec Corrado. Or original to the Corrado. Each VW market for the Corrado had its own ICE set up supplied at delivery. UK is as said were Panasonic/Sony.

I think it's more the fact that people are after the OEM or period look. The Gamma is pictured as German spec and does match the dash plastics perfectly :)

I think it's more the fact that people are after the OEM or period look. The Gamma is pictured as German spec and does match the dash plastics perfectly :)

Yup :) I've had a Gamma IV in my Scirocco Mk2 for about 6-7 years for exactly those reasons - green backlight, subdued styling. And I got fed up with having my radios nicked.

There's a changer control on the back, as noted. No other aux or preamp apart from whatever you may find on the pinout for the CD. I've never checked so YMMV.

Gamma IV was made by Philips (and perhaps others according to some websites... hmmm) - but when you say or search for Gamma you'll mostly find the Gamma V which I think was a Blaupunkt unit, commonly found with blue backlighting (Mk4 Golf era). Simple way to describe them to someone is that the Gamma IV says 'gamma' under the volume control & the Gamma V says 'GAMMA' on the cassette flap.

I seem to recall that I found the Gamma IV also came with orange backlight for Audis. But maybe it went under a different name...? (Symphony or something?) I suppose I must have a sales brochure for it somewhere to have seen that... :-/

There was a Beta - lower spec (just 2 speakers? not sure about the changer control, either).

Gamma IVs CAN take an aux input via a connector made up to fit the CD changer plug. Google for a how-to if you're handy with a soldering iron and just want a simple audio-in with no control from the head unit. Or you can buy one made up (L/R phono or 3.5mm) for about £30.

For a little more (starting at £50) you can get a CD changer emulator with an iPod connector which should let the changer controls on the head unit drive an iPod (skip track FWD/REV, and playlist access via disc buttons). You also get basic (track number) text on the Gamma's display. Later iPods need an adaptor to allow charging at the same time. I've just ordered the Connects2 kit (cable and charger widget) off eBay.... hoping it works....

Obviously, if you've got one of these gizmos in the changer socket on the Gamma, then you can't use the VW changer at the same time (6-disc, IIRC - and there were/are aftermarket cables to allow you to use non-OEM changers, but they were still pricey when I last checked in 2005-ish).

I think they came in late 1990s VWs - most CD changer emulator websites list it as being in the 1997 Passat, but I've noticed it listed for Golfs, Jettas and Polos. Not seen Corrado on any lists, but that doesn't mean much... most of the websites seem to have lifted the same text from somewhere.

There is a little red LED on the front - never lights up on mine, so I assume the Scirroco's neolithic harness doesn't drive it (although the car it's in has been subject to radio butchery in the past - I suppose I ought to try it in another one to see!) and I don't get speed-related volume control (if only!) - again, I think that's down to my wiring rather than the unit. I've read that they ID the car they are installed in and other stuff (CANBUS?) but it's beyond my ken.

There's a four digit code on them, hold down TP and TA until the display changes from 'CODE'. Each of the four digits can be entered by the 1-4 buttons (press each button repeatedly to increment; button 1=digit 1 and so on). If it says 'SAFE' you've exceeded the number of failed attempts, but as I recall you can just leave it powered for a few (?) hours and it'll let you try again. Have heard that they can lock completely if the wrong code is still entered after this stage, in which case they need some sort of intervention.

They remember their presets even when the power is off (never tried to find out if there's a limit on how long they remember them for).

Finally, lastly - IF ANYONE HAS THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL for a Gamma IV, I'd be really indebted to them if they'd let me have a copy! Dealer won't supply them (without the vehicle it came with) - presumably they still think that it's a nickable unit :)

I have a manual, pin outs and wiring diagrams if needed - actually I think I may have posted them on here before. The red LED is an anti-theft warning, you need batterry + and iginition + connected correctly for it to work. It flashes when the unit is powered down and acts as a useful deterrent, especially as from a distance it looks like an extra alarm. At this stage my car has 3 LEDs (stereo, alarm and immob) and a big chain to protect it - lol - you can never be too careful.

There was also a version from 98 onwards with blue LCD display and red backlighting for the buttons found in later passats, some Golfs and the T4 van - be careful when buying them on ebay to make sure you get the right one. The green ones are earlier and actually use a different circuit board - I have the part number and will post it when I find it on my spare unit. I think at the time they were pretty top notch, the tape deck has auto reverse and dolby on it, RDS for the radio with traffic warning and I have GALA ( speed sensitive volume control) and phone mute working in my VR6 as well. Remember that CDs were still a bit of a novelty then!

I run a Connects2 iPod adapter which works as a cd emulator and can also charge the device - I have yet to find a way to be able to run both the changer and the iPod at the same time though - Dension and some other manufacturers make a CD changer retention kit (kind of a 3 way switch) but this only works with the Gamma V and later. Have pondered the idea of a simple mechanical switch but haven't found anything suitable yet.

My manual is in German - I can translate for you if needed - I don't think it ever came in English as the radio was only ever fitted in Germany, hence the easy availability of them on ebay.de

I have one of these...........the green lit one.........as soon as i give it power it comes up SAFE.........is there anything in the manual about how to reset the number?

I will leave it on for a while to see if the SAFE goes away any i get a shot at putting in a code, but it could be a while lol :)

Press TP and TA at the same time for 3 seconds and 0000 will come up, then press channel key 1 to set the first digit, then 2 for the second etc. After this press TP and TA again, and the radio should show LEARN if the correct code was entered. For an incorrect code entry you have to wait a number of hours before you can enter it again. VW can give you the code, but only with proof of ownership and there are rumours that there might be software on the interwebs for generating codes from the serials, but I wouldn't know about that...

Well, here it is all wired correctly at night :) Well chuffed! Even get the flashing red LED when you lock the car.

I've got two spare ones if anyones interested. Drop me a PM.

There was also the heidelberg VI, I think it was made under contract for VW by Blaupunkt. Really suits the switchgear of the earlier cars(diagonal lines on the buttons). I have to admit i'd love to have a tape deck, have to get a fischer C box to go with it though.

Tom

By this time in 1993, Panasonic had lost the contract to supply ICE to VW(UK).

This was probably because of the warranty repair issues, we had to remove the faulty unit leaving customers without any sounds whilst it was sent off to Panasonic for repair, these would usually be returned a week or two later with a sticker on them stating ' No fault found ', customers were understandingly unimpressed with this system but we were not permitted to fit a new radio under warranty if it was a panasonic !!